Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

running in old engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

running in old engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 05:21 PM
andrew wisc.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in old engine

hello,
i was wondering if any of you know the best way to break in an old os 40 fp. it is for a friend who fond in his garage.
supposedly it was ran once about 10 years ago. it still turns over but is stiff. also if this is from middle 90s is it abc
or is it ringed. i thoght about using wd -40 to try and free up before starting. is this good idea?. any help would be greatly appriciated
as i dont have manual. im use to the new abc types. thanks! andrew wisc.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:26 PM
APIA

Default RE: running in old engine

It sounds to me that it may be gummed up a bit. I would saturate it with after run oil or GM trans fluid (Not Ford Type F) Put a prop on it and rotate the engine for a while. The engine should loosen up, if it is still tight at the top of the stroke this is a good thing and probably does not have a lot of run time on it. The engine should run providing you have a good glo plug and fresh fuel. This is a bushing engine and you should not expect AX 46 power from it. I have one and it runs great propped correctly with 10% nitro. This is an ABC engine, look up OS engines on Google and it will provide you with a wealth of info...
-Tom
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I just recently pulled out an engine that has been sitting on the shelf for over 15 years. It had been run maybe twice.

I just changed the plug, followed a standard break in and it runs great.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:31 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'D THROW IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

GIBBS
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to free it up alcohol or raw fuel squirted in the intake and exhaust and rotated should loosen it up enough to run,there are no ball bearings to go bad and it is not an abc design,upto the fp 35 were lapped piston designs,I think the starting with the 40 they used a ring.reqardless of the above post the fp series are a good engine,they use an airbleed carb instead of the two needle style found on the fsr and sf series.fp[flat piston] were the economy model schnurle ported engines for sport/beginner flyers.I think some of the older os engines were made better than todays engines,no plastic parts to break,you should use a fuel with a bit more oil content than 18%,20-22% is what they were designed to use.