Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

flat spins?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Jon.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flat spins?

I have a trainer plane that i fly. I have been trying to do flat spins with it and it doesn't seem to want to spin.
The way I try do flat spins is i go up about 1000ft or so and than i stall my plane, throttle down to an idle and when it whips down I give it full right aliron. Am i doing somthing rong or would it be the plane?

Thanks

Jon.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 PM
theradioflyer

Default RE: flat spins?

For a flat spin you want to stall the plane, as it stalls pull both the stick to the right ( or left ) and up elvator. as the plane begins to do a snap roll bring the ailerons back to the center and hold the rudder and elevator. It should be in a flat spin at that point. Hope this helps.

Jay
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Huckaneer

I would say it is the plane. You can get a trainer to spin but not flat spin. I tisn't meant to do that though. At least you are trying things out. With another plane you will be able to flat spin a lot easier. A trainer just doesn't have the necessary throws.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:33 PM
theradioflyer

ORIGINAL: junior flyer

I would say it is the plane. You can get a trainer to spin but not flat spin. I tisn't meant to do that though. At least you are trying things out. With another plane you will be able to flat spin a lot easier. A trainer just doesn't have the necessary throws.
Ture, but I've seen a three channel trainer do one of the sweetest, very flat spin ever
Old 09-17-2006, 02:55 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

jon, you haven't described your specific trainer, some planes are so stable, they just don't want to spin. A couple of suggestions: 1) enter the spin with rudder and elevator deflection first, then add aileron or 2) enter the spin with power on instead of at idle or 3) try a power on inverted spin i.e., sticks to the upper inside corners (full down, left aileron, full right rudder, full power). Then, after the spin is established, come back on the power and move ailerons back toward neutral to flatten the spin.

I flew a WM Mach I trainer for a couple of years that would not spin unless it was a power on entry, and was much easier to spin inverted than conventional. Go figure?

Have fun experimenting!

edit=typo
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes you need to move the cg back a bit to get a trainer to spin,just do it a little at a time.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: Jon.
I have a trainer plane that i fly. I have been trying to do flat spins with it and it doesn't seem to want to spin.
The way I try do flat spins is i go up about 1000ft or so and than i stall my plane, throttle down to an idle and when it whips down I give it full right aliron. Am i doing somthing rong or would it be the plane?

Thanks

Jon.
First you need to know how to enter a normal spin properly.
Throttle down to a safe idle. As speed decreases, gradually feed in up elevator in order to maintain altitude. As the speed bleeds off, the nose of the aircraft will tend to rise. As the aircraft is about to stall apply and maintain full rudder (left or right) and full up elevator. The aircraft should now start spinning. If it doesn't the problem is usually one (or more) of the following:

- C.G. is too far forward
- Elevator throw is to small
- Rudder throw is to small

Many people help the aircraft enter the spin by applying a little aileron in the direction of the spin, but usually this is not necessary.

In order to exit the spin, do the following:

- Close throttle to idle (if the engine is not already at idle)
- Let go of the elevator stick
- Apply rudder opposite the direction of spin rotation in order to break the rotation
- As the model stops rotating, let go of the rudder and gradually apply up elevator to recover to level flight

That said, with a trainer it is usually enough to just let go of the sticks.

A flat spin differs from a normal spin in that the aicraft is spinning with wings almost level and with the nose of the aircraft close to the horizon. In order to get there start off with a normal spin to the LEFT. When the aircraft is spinning feed in right aileron in order to reduce the bank angle and increase the throttle to 1/4 to 1/3 in order to raise the nose of the aircraft. If you got it right you will see that the bank angle decreases significantly and the nose raises towards the horizon while the rate of rotation usually increses a lot. Sink speed will decrease.

In order to exit the flat spin do the following:

-Close the throttle to idle
-Let go of the aileron
-Maintain full upp elevator and full left rudder
-Wait for the flat spin to revert into a normal spin (this is the hairy part it may take anything from one to several turns)
-When the aircraft is spinning normally (high bank angle and nose very low) apply the normal spin recovery technique as described above.

BTW, the reason for performing the flat spin to the left is that the gyroscopic precession of the propeller will cause a nose up pitching moment.

Good luck!

/Red B.

P.S. Don't despair if you can't get your trainer to flat spin. After all, trainers are designed not to do that! D.S.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
gosk8ing

Hey,

About a month ago, i finally did a spin after trying nearly everything, but every plane will spin different. You can tell when your in a proper spin because you will notice the plane will have a low rate of descent, but a high rate of spin. A lot of people think a spiral is a spin, but they look so different. Also depends on wing loading. Mine is a 3D Magic, so the rate of descent is very low. My plane rotates about 8-10 times per 10 metres.

The method that i use is the following:

Slow down the plane in level flight by using no throttle and more back elevator. Just before stall, use full back elevator, full aileron and full rudder.
After the plane rotates 180 degrees, use full opposite rudder and aileron while holding full stick back. Then it kicks into the flat spin.
Hold controls while in the spin.
Once you let go of the sticks, it will take a while to get out of the spin. Mine takes 3 spins before it gets out.
If it doesnt get out, i use full rudder (opposite of the rotation of spin) and nose down untill it kicks out.

Well...it works for me

Cheers
Old 11-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Knight_74

Try doing an inverted spin. Most trainers won't stall well enough to enter a proper spin.
However they will stall much easier inverted.