Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

BEST GLUE FOR CANOPIES?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

BEST GLUE FOR CANOPIES?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Pantherman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEST GLUE FOR CANOPIES?

What does everyone find works the best for gluing canopies into fiberglass frames? I have heard several techniques, but am not sure which one is the easiest and least likely to spoil the clear canopy by oozing or smearing onto the clear glass from under the frame. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 AM
muzzlemaggot
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BEST GLUE FOR CANOPIES?

Have you tried RC-56 canopy glue? It dries clear and hard as a rock.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:00 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

The RC 56 works great. It does dry clear and is easy to use. Lately though I've just been using screws to hold on my canopies.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:06 AM
150flyer

I like to use auto trim or pin stripe tape about 1/4 inch wide. You simply tape the canopy down. By slightly stretching the tape as you go, it conforms very well to the shape of the canopy edge. Just remember to clean the canopy and fuse with rubbing alcohol before you tape.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95435.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	528798  
Old 09-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Pantherman

Have not tried RC-56. Will have to give it a try. I have been using 3m spray adhesive on the inside of the frame first, then pushing the canopy up against it. Works well but on complex frames it is easy to get some adhesive on to unintended areas of the glass. How well does the RC-56 hold on initial tack? Does it require holding for extended period while it dries or is it fast setting?

Great tips guys, keep the info coming!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has some initial tack but not enough to hold sections that don't lay flat.

It is easily held with a couple of pieces of masking tape. It doesn't dry right away. Plan to leave it overnight.

It's real beauty is that you put enough to insure it's enough.... and anything that squeezes out is wiped off like white glue with a damp paper towel. It's magic stuff.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 PM
GoMike

Pantherman, have you done a search on this site using the words "canopy" and "glue"? If you do, I think you'll find a lot of stuff to read.

== Mike ==
Old 09-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Pantherman

Thanks guys, excellent info.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
iflircaircraft

I don't use any glue on my canopies. Instead I use double sided transparent tape on the inside edge of the frame. Not the entire inside edge but mostly up at the high point up front and a couple points on the sides and the top where it meets the top decking. Then I press the canopy in place and seal the outside with 1/4" vinyl automotive trim tape.
I place the transparent tape inside so when I do the outside you do not see it.
I hope I was claer in my explanation.

Happy Flying

Tom
Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just glued the canopy on my new KYOSHO Calmato Sport and tried something new that worked great.

I use canopy glue. It goes on just like white glue and it's hard to run a bead that is consistent in size or that won't start running. Running is no problem, just wipe the runs with a damp paper towel, but it's a pain nonetheless.

So this time I took an extra 20 seconds and used a Qtip as I ran the bead. I ran less glue and followed the bead with the Qtip. By wiping the glue down as I went, it applied a more uniform line of glue and nothing ran. And like I say, I don't care if it does run. I then did the same to the inside of the canopy. The glue on the fuselage got tacky as I did the canopy. When I saw that, I gave the canopy a little while to get tacky. While waiting, I pulled a couple of strips of masking tape.

The canopy stuck down great. I could easily push it straight yet it gripped all round. I pressed all around and got 100% sealing with some squeeze out. I wiped that off with a damp paper towel, and slapped on the tape.

It was a breeze.

I did run a bead around the very front seam where raw fuel specks blow back from the engine. I used a toothpick to uniform that bead's thickness. Next morning all the white places in the glue had dried clear.

Looking at the canopy the next morning, it looked like it was sitting there waiting to be glued. When I walked in I though I'd screwed up and forgotten to glue it the night before. Except it fit tight everywhere. Best job yet. And I can pick the airplane up by that canopy. I can certainly turn the airplane on it's back, lay it in the grass, and not worry a bit. And first day out somebody asked me how I got the canopy to stay on the airplane like it did. I told 'em it was glued, and they asked where. Now that is kewl.....
Old 09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

RC 56 is the best I have found.. Aileen's Tacky glue from Wal-Mart is the same stuff and works good for me too..Brian
ORIGINAL: Pantherman

What does everyone find works the best for gluing canopies into fiberglass frames? I have heard several techniques, but am not sure which one is the easiest and least likely to spoil the clear canopy by oozing or smearing onto the clear glass from under the frame. Thanks for your feedback!