Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

8.8lb plane with a .61, how will it fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

8.8lb plane with a .61, how will it fly?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:00 AM
alexcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.8lb plane with a .61, how will it fly?

Hey guys just finished building my phoenix Yak 54 and the thing was REALLY tail heavy so I had to add quite a bit of weight to the front. Anyway after I added everything and checked the CG again it felt really heavy, when I weighed it I realised it weighed 8.8lbs. No too clued up on what the weight should be but it is flying with a .61 GMS and pitts muffler. I am worried that it is going to be really sluggish, does anyone have any idea how a .61 with a claimed 2HP would pull 8.8lbs?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:41 AM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 8.8lb plane with a .61, how will it fly?

As far as thrust to weight ratio, that seems pretty heavy to me. I just finished rebuilding a broken .40 size Magic Extra and beefed it up a lot. It got very tail heavy and I put a Super Tigre .61 on it to make it balance. It weighs 7 lbs with a full tank. It's normally a 5 lb plane. It actually flies great but does feel heavy. The wing loading jumped from normally 19 oz/sqft to 23.5 oz/sqft. but the thrust to weight is still hanging in at 1.7 with a 12.25 x 3.75 APC prop turning about 13,500 rpms. That prop would only give about 1.4:1 thrust to weight on 8.8 lbs at that rpm. If your wing loading is still down to 20 oz/sqft or less, it should fly fine otherwise, but not the best for 3D stuff.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:31 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly a 6.5-pound Kougar with a .50 engine and it is flies fine for me but probably feels heavy to others.

Bill
Old 10-07-2006, 08:49 AM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how well it flies will depend more on the wing loading,a brick will fly with enough horsepower but will it do manuvers without falling out of the sky.you may be okay at full throtle but watch for snapping when you cut the power espeacially in turns and while landing.will probably have a high stall speed.scale planes fly close to 10 pounds with a .61 but have problems at takeoff and landing.