Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

New to Electrics

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

New to Electrics

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
PA44Capt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Electrics

Hey guys my father and I have been flying RC for around 10 years now off and on and my dad has started to get interested in electrics. We have always flown glow and don't really know anything about electric. The question is, how do you know what ECU to use with which motors and which batteries etc? Is there a good place where there is/are article(s) on getting started in electrics that explains the basics from the beginning? Another question, when a motor says it's a 400 or 600 etc. that means 400/600 what? Thanks for the help guys!

It's funny, dad's going micro and I'm concerned with CCs...
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Dsegal

Default RE: New to Electrics

Alas, there is no standard system of nomenclature in use for electric motors. But to get started, go to http://www.ezonemag.com/ and then click on FAQ.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:05 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I will get an ESU that is 1 size biger then needed. That Amp draw is set by the prop size.
the 600 is follwed by KV = RPM the motor will turn with 1volt.600 kv x 11.1 =6660 RPM no load.this would be direct drive 2700 v would be used with a gear box.Check out the electric forum there is a lot to learn.
Hope it helped.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
amilder

ESCs (Electronic Speed Controller) are pretty straightforward- there are two main types, either brushed or brushless (easy to tell the difference, brushless motors have three wires, brushed, only two). Other than that, there is an amp rating. Examples: 40A brushless ESC, 18A brushed ESC, etc.

If you are starting out, and you don't have a Wattmeter, stick to the manufacturers recommendation for motor, ESC, and prop.
Andy
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: PA44Capt

Hey guys my father and I have been flying RC for around 10 years now off and on and my dad has started to get interested in electrics. We have always flown glow and don't really know anything about electric. The question is, how do you know what ECU to use with which motors and which batteries etc? Is there a good place where there is/are article(s) on getting started in electrics that explains the basics from the beginning? Another question, when a motor says it's a 400 or 600 etc. that means 400/600 what? Thanks for the help guys!

It's funny, dad's going micro and I'm concerned with CCs...
A good place for information on eflight is:
http://www.wattflyer.com

Having worked in electronics for many years the one thing I would recommend when getting an ESC for your motor is figure on having the esc rated around 20% higher than your load (the motor) and you should never cook it.