Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine shoping

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:04 PM
furnaceman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shoping

Just would like to get some advice on buying an engine. I had an evolution .45 trainer motor and after two and a half gallons it is toast. There is barley any compression left and the rod bushing is so worn it clanks in the stroke. I was thinking about another evo motor. the .46 or the .52 but I'm thinking of maybe another brand. I need an engine to last more than one season. Is it common for an evolution motor to wear that quick? and what 2 stroke sugegstions do you guys have for a 6.5lb p-51

Bill
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
super tigre

Default RE: Engine shoping

Engines should last for more than one season,I have engines that I have ran for years.The biggest killer of engines is they are being run too lean,this causes excessive heat and increased wear.I don,t have any experience with the evolution engines so I can't comment on them.I have had good luck with Super Tigre and OS engines.
AMA#511248
Steve
Old 10-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most USER FRIENDLY engines I have encountered (highest price to lowest ) are OS 46 FX/AX, Thunder Tiger Pro 46 and the Evolution 46.

For long engine life on ANY engine, follow the manufacter's breakin instructions, use a fuel with some castor oil in it (usually referred to as a "blend" - the castor helps prevent damage in the event of a lean run ), ALWAYS run the engine SLIGHTLY rich (to avoid a lean run ).

When done flying for the day, drain the fuel from the tank, THEN start the engine to run out any fuel left in the engine. Use after run oil (Marvel Air Tool Oil is an excellent alternative ) to prevent/minimize any corrosion of the internal parts (Glow fuel attracts water/moisture which will corrode/pitt the internals of an engine, especially over the non flying season (winter ).

The above procedures will normally provide many YEARS of use from an engine. I still have a couple of engines that are over 45 years old and still run great (Super Tiger/Como 19 "Racing Engine" (one of the early ball bearing engines ) circa 1958 and a McCoy Red Head 35 circa 1959 - 1960 )
Old 10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
AirTech
My Feedback: (18)

You can't go wrong with either the OS 46FX, or the 50SX. Also the Supertigre engines either the 40 Ringed, the 45 ABC, or the 51 Ringed engines will give years of good service if you run them on the rich side, and they are very inexpensive. Stay away from the Tower engines, they are chinese made knockoff of OS, very inexpensive but the tolerances are way off

There are tons of other very exotic engines in the 40 size category, but for most sport flying these engines are more than adequate.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:53 AM
agexpert
My Feedback: (1)

I know you said 2-stroke options, but...um....why? Is it because of cost, or cowl concerns?

Bottom line for me is...shoe-horn in as much power as the plane will take. Not because it's cool, but because you will have more options when you are done with the airframe. If you decide to put that engine into another plane, you can move up.

For in-cowl, scale sounding engines, look at RCV engines. They are an engineer's dream.

For lower cost standard 4-strokes, look at Magnum....except for the Magnum .70.

For 2-strokes, O.S. AX/FX

For High-end standard 4-strokes, Saito or YS.

There really are no 'BAD' engines, but there are some that are better and you normally pay for it. My favorite glow engine to date is the Saito 1.25, my favorite 2-stroke glow is the OS .46 AX and my favorite gas engine is the DA 100.......oh, and, (while I'm off topic anyway), my favorite electric brushless motors are Hacker.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 AM
furnaceman
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks guys. I know all the do and don'ts I always keep them rich and use after run oil. I was not looking four four stroke due to cost.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best value in the 45size is the OS46AX.

One LHS buys them in quantity and makes a pyramid of them on the front counter. They price them at $95 and that LHS has rebuilt the pyramid more than once.

They break in easy. I've seen a couple that weren't broken in, just cranked and flown. Not a good idea even if it worked for those guys, but it suggests how good the things are. I've got more than one. OK, more than two.... ok..... And every one of them got one tank on the ground with the breakin suggested in the instructions. And have flown excellently well ever since. A couple have required slight adjustment to the lowspeed needle. A couple haven't needed it.

They pull like a bull and start with a touch of the starter.

When I'm not flying them, I'm usually helping somebody else get their engine started or sorted to run. Those engines? chuckle...... ain't a one of them a 46AX...... and every one of them was bought because the owner wanted to save $15 or $20. Seems they also save those owners time..... time they could be flying.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The first thing to do is send the engine back. You have three years on it. Then you can buy something else too if you want too. Dennis
Old 10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: darock

Best value in the 45size is the OS46AX.

One LHS buys them in quantity and makes a pyramid of them on the front counter. They price them at $95 and that LHS has rebuilt the pyramid more than once.

They break in easy. I've seen a couple that weren't broken in, just cranked and flown. Not a good idea even if it worked for those guys, but it suggests how good the things are. I've got more than one. OK, more than two.... ok..... And every one of them got one tank on the ground with the breakin suggested in the instructions. And have flown excellently well ever since. A couple have required slight adjustment to the lowspeed needle. A couple haven't needed it.

They pull like a bull and start with a touch of the starter.

When I'm not flying them, I'm usually helping somebody else get their engine started or sorted to run. Those engines? chuckle...... ain't a one of them a 46AX...... and every one of them was bought because the owner wanted to save $15 or $20. Seems they also save those owners time..... time they could be flying.

You might put that shops phone # here. With shipping that would still beat Towers price.

Ronnie
Old 10-09-2006, 04:21 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K-C Hobby in Archdale NC

They'll do mail order. They don't work the website to do it, but they answer the phone and ship from their store.

Good people too.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:56 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: darock

K-C Hobby in Archdale NC

They'll do mail order. They don't work the website to do it, but they answer the phone and ship from their store.

Good people too.

I called them, but they were out of'em until wednesday this week. They said they would still be the same price though, $95 +about $10 for shipping anywhere in the 48 states. Still a good deal IMO

K C Hobby
10948 N Main St # G
Archdale, NC 27263
(336) 434-3482

Ronnie
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: super tigre

The biggest killer of engines is they are being run too lean,this causes excessive heat and increased wear.
Overloading an engine by using too big of a prop also causes excessive heat and increased wear.