Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Hanger 9 DVT

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 01:00 PM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 DVT

I'm working on finishing a Super Decathlon. I put in a Saito 72 with a 13x8 APC prop. I'm trying to do the breakin on the motor but can't get a good reading from the tach. I have flouresent lighting in my shop, and am getting a 360 reading on the tach from the lighting which shows it's working fine, but cant get a good reading off the prop. I have tried putting a flashlight behind the prop so the tach could read from it but that hasn't worked out. Anybody else run into this problem and have found a way around it.

flynte
Old 10-15-2006, 06:45 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Hanger 9 DVT

Take it outside... I've never had any luck at all getting a prop reading in doors... it should be fairly clear and sunny outside to give you the best readings.

John
Old 10-15-2006, 11:54 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I can tell you that I get better readings on my hobbico tach than i do with the DVT. The DVT works but I get a pretty large variable reading, usually + or - 800 rpms or so. While my Hobbico tach usually gives me a little more accurate reading. The DVT was my first "cool" toy as it did everything. I still use it as a loaded voltmeter for my 6 volt batterys but, thats it.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
flynte

Outside is losing it's appeal. Overcasted with showers and some snow here and there. I might try setting up a halogen light behind the plane tonight and see if that'll work.

thanks

flynte
Old 10-16-2006, 06:27 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

flynte, I hope you have EXCELLENT ventilation in your shop... with my garage door open... even with the engine set up right at the opening prop blowing the smoke out, I still needed 2 fans blowing to stay alive[X(] this was the first and LAST time I used a rainy day to break in a Saito 4 stroke.

John
Old 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
flynte

Got 2 good cfm exhaust fans and the pedestrian door open and it does get fair full in there by the end of the tank, but it does clear out fairly quickly.

flynte
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flynte

Outside is losing it's appeal. Overcasted with showers and some snow here and there.
I only use the H9 DVT as a volt meter. If you want an excellent tach, get a TNC. It can read in overcast or dim lighting conditions up to 5-6 feet away from the prop.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
flynte

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Outside is losing it's appeal. Overcasted with showers and some snow here and there.
I only use the H9 DVT as a volt meter. If you want an excellent tach, get a TNC. It can read in overcast or dim lighting conditions up to 5-6 feet away from the prop.
What manufacturer makes this so I can try to track one down. Sounds like a good tach

thanks

flynte
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
JPGale

These things work off of a good light contrast and to be frank indoor lights just come no where near the IR levels of outdoors. IIRC at my last company we made a product that did something where the contrast was important, and to test we went out and got car headlights and used them to gives us a reasonable amount of light in doors.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Richard L.

What manufacturer makes this so I can try to track one down. Sounds like a good tach
You can read about it and order one from here: [link]http://www.fromeco.org/shop/atnc%20tach.htm[/link]

It's a good investment. There was a good thread on this tach in the engine forum. Might worth doing a search for it.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Richard L.

I tached my engine once after dusk when the sun was well down, and the tach functioned just fine.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
flynte

Thanks for the lead Richard! I got my order in tonight.

flynte
Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
flynte

Good day today, not only did my TNC show up, but my skis for my Kadet Senior did also . Now we can get the Saito tuned and get the senior tuned and skied up. Got there T-shirt also [sm=punching.gif]

thanks again Richard for the tach lead

flynte
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82931.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	551691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88487.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	551692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44271.jpg