Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Lateral Balancing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Lateral Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 AM
raynman
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral Balancing

Can anyone give me a good answer and method for lateral balancing? I have a Tower Hobbies 40 Trainer and want to balance it correctly. I have the CG Just right (even though there is room for a margin of error plus or minus) It balances just right. It's the LATERAL balance that seems to be off. I built a jig which supports the prop shaft in front and the stab post in the rear ( I used some 1x2 and mitred the stab end support so that the post(or tail end of the fuse) rests on about a 1/4" surface. I placed a small level on the wing which is centered on the joining seam and about 2" rear of the LE. Now the right wing drops until I added about 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of lead ( I could weigh it if needed) to the opposite plastic wing tip with silicone. It seems much more centered - although I can't get the plane to balance "perfectly" on the bubble. Questions: 1) does the lateral need to be "perfect" -or- really close? 2) Is there a better way to laterally balance this plane (without screwing into the wing etc.? The instructions said to have someone assist while each lifts the prop shaft / rear post and see which wing drops. Those results were inconclusive, one time right, one time left....etc.etc. I need experienced answer PLEASE...
Old 01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

raynman. I believe that 1/4 inch is too broad a surface at the tailpost. A 1/8 inch rounded over edge will yield better results. From your description it sounds like you have it close enough for most of us. Competition flyers may require an exact lateral balance but I'm sure you'll be happy with what you have.

Also, with a high wing airplane, upside down lateral balancing may yield better results.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:17 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vinnie's right, you're probably close enough. Here's what I do... Set something under the spinner (like a paint can), block it up so it is just bearly touching. Then lift the tail with one finger. Do this several times. If it falls to one side every time, add weight to the other wingtip and try again. Keep doing this until it falls to either side each time you lift it. That is close enough, and for the type of flying that most people do, close enough, is well... close enough.