Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Which Glue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Glue?

Hey guys,

I have to glue metal to plywood and wondered if I can us Gorilla Glue (which is easier) or 30 minute Epoxy (which I have alwats used). What do you guys think? I need your advice.

David[8D]
Old 12-16-2006, 06:44 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Which Glue?

G'day Mate,
When I have to glue metal to ply, if I can't use screws, I always use slow set epoxy, 30 min or longer. Just drill some holes 1/8" in the surface of the metal, & some part holes, not all the way through the ply, as a key for the glue, works a treat.
Also make sure the wood & the metal are squeeky clean.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Tomcat 104,
I believe either will work. Gorilla Glue will be easier and easier to sand off the excess. Try an experimental piece first and conduct a durability test. Good Luck.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Tomcat_104

Allan & Flak,

You both gave me great ideas. Thank you very much! I will make several test tomorrow and check the cleanliness of each. Either way I will use a drill to give either glue a better "bite". Thanks again for your help, you both helped me.

David[8D]
Old 12-16-2006, 10:02 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please give us the results of your tests. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Tomcat_104

OK guys,

You gave me some good suggestions so here are the results of my (first) test. Because my son had a need also I tried both on wood-wood, wood-steel and plastic-steel. After about 15 hours of drying here are my results.

When I glued two pieces of wood together (one balsa and one lite ply) I saw very little bonding difference. The Gorilla sanded easier and was a lot easier to use. It spread or "oozed" a little more so I had to clean it up 3 times over about 20 minutes.

When I glued wood-steel together the epoxy was hands down the winner. It was a stronger bond and other than being a two part that had to be mixed it was by far the best choice. I followed suggestions and cleaned the metal thoroughly before using it. I did not drill any small dents since the fianl use would be on ball bearings which could not be drilled.

As for the plastic-steel test both didn't budge so I can only conclude that both did a good job with no sanding they appeared to be equals.

The final judgement is I'll stick with Epoxy even if it is a little messier but, I'll keep a bottle of Gorilla Glue handy, just in case.

David
[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]