Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

RCV engines?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:24 PM
onewinglow
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCV engines?

Im thinking of buying a RCV four stroke engine 90 size, What is your opion of the engine preformance, throttle transfermation, and weight? thanks for looking and need feed back.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: RCV engines?

I have had 2 of the 90 size RCV's. The power is like that of a 60 2 stroke. But it takes a gallon of fuel to get the motor to the broken in point. untill then the RPM's will be low and powr is way down. Remember it swings a big prop at slow speeds due to the 2-1 gear reduction, so any loss in RPM is double. Once it is broken in, you will love it. sounds different, swings a (sort of) scale prop, runs great and starts easy. Plus in a warbird with a small cowl area, it fits! What are you putting it in? Remember that on some planes the prop it swings will have a hard time with ground strikes. But I like it so much, I put my planes pictures on RCV's web site. The quality is first rate, and the customer support is great too. Jeff
Old 12-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 58 and find it great. It did take about a gallon of fuel for it to break in though. At first it was a fuel hog but now that it is broken in, it is even more economical on fuel than my conventional 4 strokes. Starts easily (with a starter--could not hand start it) and idles very well now that it is broken in. When new, the idle was not good until after several tanks full of fuel were run through it.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:27 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 Styles of RCV Engines, not sure which one you are loookong at; the 'SP' Models are the strange looking type, the 'CD' Models are the traditional type; I have the 91 CD, and it is an excellant engine; great for warbirds when you need to to fit it the cowl and being a little heavier than traditional 4 Strokes helps with getting the CG correct without having to add a bunch of tail wieght; and as a bonus they have a great sound; I run one in my Hanger 9 60 size P-47; check the posts in the ARF/RTF Forum.