Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Field charge a new battery?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Field charge a new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
WSL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field charge a new battery?

I just installed a new 1100 MAh battery into a new plane. I gave it a (quick) full charge from the field box. The plane experiences "gliches" in flight. A ground test of the Tx and Rx show that the surfaces start to flutter in the EXTREAM at only 30 yards from the plane with antenna down. It must be required to fully charge a new battery from the wall over night? Should I discharge this battery and then charge all night? Advice please. WSL
Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Field charge a new battery?

usually glitching is not related to the amount of charge a rx battery has.sounds more like you have the antenae too close to the battery or servos.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
WSL

Thanx for the reply. The antenna is run out of the bottom, aft of the Rx and battery, then loosly along the outside and attached with a rubber band at the aft end of the plane. I made the installation as the directions intended. I have never experienced this kind of a problem. All are new parts, including the Tx. Maybe I need to send the Tx and Rx back to Futaba for check out. Suggestions? Thanks again. WSL
Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Regardless of your intereference problem--you shouldn't treat a brand new battery like that. Your battery is the heart of your plane. You can land without gear. You can fly with a stuck throttle pushrod. You can fly without ailerons. You can deadstick without an engine.

Without a battery--all you can do is watch it crash.

Cycle it about 5 times. Charge it at .1C for the correct amount of time and cycle it.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:50 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Check these sites, all the battery info you will need, follow the advice & you won't go wrong.
http://members.aol.com/davthacker/balancecharging.htm
http://members.aol.com/davthacker/nimhfaq.htm
Old 03-05-2007, 05:13 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

usually glitching is not related to the amount of charge a rx battery has.sounds more like you have the antenae too close to the battery or servos.
My non PCM recievers will glitch as described when the battery is getting low. They behave as though they have poor range. If you see this beware, from my experience when they start glitching from low battery the useful life remaining in the pack can be counted in minutes.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In post 4 above, I'm pretty sure RCpilot meant 0.1C (NOT 10C) to break in your battery. 10C will fry it for sure. Check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good info on battery care.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DOH! Sorry. Thanks Rodney