Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Flow Problem

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Flow Problem

Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 AM
rwright142

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Flow Problem

GP Cessna 182, OS FS Surpass 52, tank w/2 lines

I do not see fuel moving when I spin the prop and plug the muffler. I removed the glow plug, spun the prop, but still nothing. Shouldn't fuel be coming out of the engine w/o the glow plug screwed in?

I can put fuel in and take it out but filling using the line shown on the picture causes fuel to come of the the other line shown. Is this correct? What is the right way to connect these to the engine? Left line to muffler, right to engine? Is it the other way around?

Also, taking the tank out to check the clunk or other things would be major surgery so I wanted to post this before I took any other steps...

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21232.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	639175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85020.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	639176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	639177  
Old 03-10-2007, 12:08 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fuel Flow Problem

whatever line goes to the clunk goes to the engine the other is the vent line and the tube in the tank should be at the top of the tank and then just left open or connected to the muffler for muffler pressure.since You did not indicate which line goes to the clunk I can not say which goes where.if you choke the carb and spin the prop with out the plug you should see fuel draw to the carb but do not do it alot you will flood the engine with fuel that has to be removed or end up with a hydrulic lock
Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 PM
rwright142

Thanks for the reply. I don't know which line goes to the clunk so I will have to try them both.

When you say "choke the carb" is that the same as plugging the end of the muffler with my finger when spinning the prop?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Ed Smith

Is this serious or are you putting us on?

Ed S
Old 03-10-2007, 02:10 PM
rwright142

It's working now, but I cannot identify exactly what the problem was.

Ed Smith, my questions are legitimate. Are you referring to my "choke the carb" question? If so this is a cowled plane so I cannot put my finger over the carb and I was wanting to know if there was another way to choke it. For example, would plugging the muffler, in some small way, accomplish the same method of troubleshooting? I'm not a motorhead (bet you couldn't tell) so I just need some clarifications from time to time when it comes to these small engines.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM
aerowoof

the os engines I have owned have a choke device built in.some people remove them so if you bought the engine used it may not be attached.the choke device is used for engines with cowls .
Old 03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
rwright142

The whole thing was given to me by someone who was not comfortable flying it. The manual says "The FS-52S engine is not fitted with a manual choke control, since it has been designed for use with an electric starter only."

What I usually do is hold my finger over the muffler exhaust and turn the engine over a few seconds with the starter - without the glow plug igniter on of course. Then I try starting it. Is this the acceptable way of priming?

Thanks again for your responses.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:43 PM
scratchonly

If your vent line goes to the muffler holding your finger over the muffler exhaust should work. It should draw fueel with four or five flips; starter should not be needed.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:58 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Ed is too always too critical. Lighten up Edward.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Ed Smith

I know, I know, I am just an old internet curmudgeon.

However some of these topics frighten me. I look at the equipment in question and the question being asked. I would like to say one of two things. IF that is the equipment being used, then these questions should not be asked. Or, if these questions are genuine then that equipment should not be used. yet!

Ed S
Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 AM
rwright142

scratchonly.
Thanks, I think that is what the problem was. I flew several times over the weekend and for the first flight I had to hold my finger over the muffler more than I have had to on the other planes (with different engines) I have. Once it started and I tuned her, I had a great day of flying.

Ed Smith,
Curmudgeon or not, I respect the opinion and experience of those that have them. Perhaps you think this thread should have been posted in the beginners forum? I realize it probably seemed like a beginner's question to you, but I have not had this problem before. Sometimes it's hard for me to picture the problem in my mind so I resort to asking others here.
I have not been flying for very long - this is only my 2nd plane, so I will have many more questions and I appreciate those of you have offered your experience.