Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

need a carb for a GP 42

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

need a carb for a GP 42

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 05:01 PM
jmf2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a carb for a GP 42

Hi Guys. Hope you are getting in some flying time were ever you are. Here In Puerto Rico we fly all year. Anyway I have a problem. About three weeks ago I was teaching a new modler ( 12 years old) how to fly. While we were taking the model off some SOB with a motorcycle ran right thru the model and compleately destroyed it. We called the police but the guy on the bike disipeared. Anyway the club members decided that we would buy him a new model from Tower. The ARF arrived and I called the kid( who's nsme is Logan ) and told him to come on over to our flying site that Sunday and that we would give him the kit. I also told him to bring the radio and engine that he had removed from the broken model. He came over to the field to pick up his kit and thanked all the members that were there for replacing the plane. However when I examined the engine still on the engine mount) I noticed that one of the ears on the carb. had been broken.
So now I need some help from you guys. Does anyone have a carb. for a GP 42 who would either like to donate or sell it to Logan. If you can help get back to me at this E-mail add and I will be in touch with you.
Thanks for reading this message and if you live in a cold area may the Sun of Puerto Rico shine on your flying site.
Thank you.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Carb's have ears? No wonder my G#& D@#% F*@^#!% engines won't start!

jmf, sorry about Logan's plane, but can you be a little more specific? Maybe I'm just having a brain f@rt here, but for the life of me, I can't think of an engine MFG that goes by GP.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:30 PM
AtomHeartMother

It's a Thunder Tiger motor. The bushed GP42.
The carb design is it's weakest point really. Do you have JB Weld or a similar metal epoxy in PR ? This stuff would work well in this application. Get some emery cloth...like 400 grit. Rough up the crankcase opening where the carb seats, then rough up the part of the carb itself that seats in the crankcase. Smear a little JB weld onto the carb and put it on the engine as normal. You'll see the JB Weld ooze out a little but that's ok. Screw the remaining intact screw in, to help the carb seat. Let it dry overnight and I am betting you'll be back in business. I've used JB Weld and other metal epoxies on my Gp42 carb needle assemblies and it works great. I think this would hold up well too. Oh..after sanding..clean the areas to be epoxied with rubbing alcohol. Just be very careful not to get any epoxy down inside the crankcase near the crankshaft or bushing. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:00 PM
jmf2001

Thanks to both of you. I will try the JB weld if I can finf it. As for the ears on a carb. instead of the carb going into the crank case housing it has two little ears with holes in them on each side of the carb. The screws go into the holes then the carb gets screwed to the crankase. Weird design if you ask me.
Once again thanks for your help.