Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

field plane stand

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

field plane stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 02:28 PM
cotman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default field plane stand

anyone know where I can find the plans for a plane stand that goes on the flying field. My club wants to build several of them. Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 02:40 PM
KW_Counter

Default RE: field plane stand

http://www.meroke.com/safetybench.htm

I built two from scrap lumber from the house construction next door.
They are GREAT!!!

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

I believe you will find an article with a source for the drawings of these stands in the Model Aviation magazine of just a couple months ago.

At the club I belong to the safety stands are positioned so that the engines are facing the parking lot and any spectators (no fence in between.) I say that's not a good idea. What does everyone here think or does it matter? They say they point them that way so that when you are working on your plane you can see an airplane that may be in trouble coming at you from the runway or a bad landing or such. I disagree strongly. We have a four foot fence between the pilot stations and the runway.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:03 AM
rwright142

ORIGINAL: fancman
At the club I belong to the safety stands are positioned so that the engines are facing the parking lot and any spectators (no fence in between.) I say that's not a good idea. What does everyone here think or does it matter?
Are you saying the planes are pointing towards the spectators and not the runway?

Maybe someone can quote AMA regs, but this may be addressed there.

Personally, I would not have them point in the direction of spectators, just because there may be children visiting. I know some children fly, but for the most part it's adults. Also, the pilots know the dangers, but spectators may not. Safety stands are nice, as long as the owner remembers to secure the wings!

I think a better design would be one that also chocks the wheels and holds the plane down by the tail.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 AM
fancman

Yes, the planes, props are pointing towad the spectators. I've seen nothing adressing this issue anywhere but it just doesn't sit right with me. I have seen pictures of these stands being used in the same manner elsewhere also but haven't seen anything on the AMA's thoughts on the situation.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have those very stands at our club field and they are pointing at the spectators. There is however a fence about 20 feet away the keeps the spectators at a safe distance. I assume that the direction serves a couple of purposes. One, there is a bench in front of the bench for setting you flight box with starter, fuel can etc. The other is that the planes are pointing into the prevailing wind so the exhaust is blowing down wind and not into the wind.

Blessings, Terry
Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
KW_Counter

Fancman,
Yes, initially this sounds wrong. However, there are other considerations.
The chance of the plane coming loose and going toward the crowd is minimal
compared to the chance of it blowing something off of the table at the crowd.
Keep in mind dirt, sand and litter on the ground that could get blown around and cause damage.

Ideally, I thnk the difference should be split.
Our tables are at the ends of the pit area.
When they are pointed at the proper angle then they will miss the pits and spectators.

Keep safety in mind and good luck,
KW_Counter
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
fancman

I was thinking more of a prop coming off and going right at any spectator. Little chance of dirt blowing because the stands are off the ground. I guess this isn't that important an issue after all until God forbid a prop comes off and hits someone.

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Fancman,
Yes, initially this sounds wrong. However, there are other considerations.
The chance of the plane coming loose and going toward the crowd is minimal
compared to the chance of it blowing something off of the table at the crowd.
Keep in mind dirt, sand and litter on the ground that could get blown around and cause damage.

Ideally, I thnk the difference should be split.
Our tables are at the ends of the pit area.
When they are pointed at the proper angle then they will miss the pits and spectators.

Keep safety in mind and good luck,
KW_Counter