Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

IMAC vs 3D/pattern & What plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

IMAC vs 3D/pattern & What plane?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 06:32 PM
talbert
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMAC vs 3D/pattern & What plane?

Ugh, getting a headache just trying to figure out how to ask this one. In an attempt to be more educated in RC and take my flying skills to the next level, I've been investigating IMAC and 3D.

If I understand the two correctly, basically IMAC in a nutshell is aerobatics performed byaircraft resembling scale airplanes. 3D/pattern on the other hand can be performed by any plane, or those that have been built to optomize 3D performance/aerobatics by possibly enhancing control surfaces etc?

This leads in to my second question (which I'm borrowing from another thread).

When considering an aerobatic plane to adventure in to these realms, several planes seem to be very popular and good choices:

EDGE 540, Extra 260, Extra 330L, Cap 232, Yak, Sukhoi, Giles etc

What I don't undestand is how these planes really differ. Can someone explain to me what I'm looking at here? I'm not only trying to understand the vocabulary but how each plane better excels or qualifies as one or the other classification.
To quote another thread

"For IMAC, the EDGE 540, Extra 260, Extra 330L are all excellent choices. These groups are not mutually exclusive. Any scale aerobat can excell at BOTH 3D and precision, it's just that each design has it's own set of assets and liabilities. It really is that simple."
Can someone explain and enlighten me?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: IMAC vs 3D/pattern & What plane?

Hi talbert,

If you wish to go in either of these directions I would suggest one of the many compromise sports models that will allow you to fly the biggenners/elementary pattern schedule and has some 3D capabilities rather than jump in at the deep end with either discipline.

With regards to the differences in the scale aerobatic models you have listed, there are many more differences between different manufacturers of the same model, (and size of model) rather than differences between a Yak or and Edge for example. Not to mention set up, trimming etc, etc.

Something along the lines of a World Models Zen or Hanger 9 Funtana or even one of the many profile 3D thingeys (on low rates) will allow sport pattern flying and 3D on high rates. For most the capabilities of these modles far exceed those of the average pilot (self included). Please not another Edge or Extra at the field

Good Luck,

Colin