Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Opinions & Advise Wanted

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Opinions & Advise Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:59 PM
tes21966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions & Advise Wanted

I am ready to take the plunge for my first 50 cc size plane. I have purchased a DA 50 already and pretty much decided on an Extra 260 with a minimum wingspan of 82". I just prefer the look of the 260 over the Yaks, 300s, and etc. I have found several companies who offer a 260. This is where my questions begin.............. Excluding the composite aircrafts (out of my price range) are some actually better than others? I have noticed several hundred dollars difference in planes which seem to have pretty much the same specs. I have looked at Airwild, Deitrich, SD Models ($459.00 shipped at one place and $499.00 + $89.00 shipping at another), PAU, and a few others. What is the consensus of this forum? Tell me what you like and why.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Opinions & Advise Wanted

Go to each website and do everything you can to look at the control surface areas, the wing root width, and the differences in placement between the main wing and the horizontal stabs. Those along with wing area will be the telling tale. You will be looking for the widest wing root, the most area for the span, and larger control surface areas. The weights are largely up to the person assembling the kit. What you install bears a large amount of responsibility for the final weight. Included hardware often has little true influence since so many have personal preferences and will replace that which does not fit their usual type of hardware.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
tes21966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Silversurfer.

I did not get even remotely close to the response I was hoping to get from members of this forum but I did want to thank you for your input. To let you know, I placed an order just today for a SD Models Extra 260. Most of what I have read on this plane has been positive and the price seemed fair. So it seems my first 50 cc size plane will be a SD Extra 260 and will wear a DA 50 for power.

Again Thanks for the advise.
Tommy
Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=853

And check out the videos from:

AeroWorks
Airwild