Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

servo bounce

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
gnsmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo bounce

I installed futaba s3010 servo's on each aileron connected with a Y harness on my great plains PT-17. When given full Ail. then quickly centered servo's bounce past center before centering. what to do to correct what i call bounce. thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: servo bounce

Most probably a bad connection (a high impedance due to corrosion or cheap connector material) in the Y or in the extensions if you used any. Eliminate all the connections you can, use adequate size wire if extensions are required and use good connectors. To see if this is the problem, plug the servos directly into the receiver less any extensions and see if they work okay then; if so connectors are your problem.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:20 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Yea it sounds like a bad "Y" harness if both servos are doing it. I like to use the heavy duty ones form Expert.

David
Old 06-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Most probably a bad connection (a high impedance due to corrosion or cheap connector material) in the Y or in the extensions if you used any. Eliminate all the connections you can, use adequate size wire if extensions are required and use good connectors. To see if this is the problem, plug the servos directly into the receiver less any extensions and see if they work okay then; if so connectors are your problem.
GNSmit,

That, and or your power supply. I have a friend that is\was having the same issue with 3010's, and going to a larger battery seemed to help the issue .......... Greg
Old 06-11-2007, 02:13 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As posted check all your connections, the servo is not getting enough voltage. You ca also check by pushing on the control surface, it should be easy to move it cause the servo will not have enough holding power. The reason the servo "bounces" is because when returning to center it swings past center because its not strong enough to stop the motion. Every time it swings past center to a lesser degree until it has enough power to stop the motion. When you plug the servo straigh into the RX the problem will go away.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:00 PM
monstertruckman
My Feedback: (39)

I have had the same problem in the past i talked to a tech at horizon and was informed to get rid of the plug in extensions and cut the servo wires and make the servo wires longer , I havent had a problem since .
And a 50 foot rol of wire goes a long way and is alot cheaper than all of those plug in extensions
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
gnsmit

Thanks all, for the helpful replys. i will make my servo wires longer and plug one in as an aux mix. i did replug the connections and everything seems to be working, but i can't trust it . i am using a 1800mah nicad. i figure might as well use more battery than more led. i do want to get away from nicad and am looking into going 6 volt. i am busy and i sometimes set up my batterys for a while. any suggestions?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 PM
broke_n_bummin

Wait a minute now. If you push the stick all the way to one side or the other, ands let it go, the servo is going to "bounce" because that's what the stick is doing.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 PM
gnsmit

no i sayed quickly center stick. i keep my plains in a fully enclosed shed, stays dry but being from the south the air is humid. so for now on before taking out a plane to the field i will unplug inspect and clean the plugs. i always remove the engine and store them in the house. this problem already happen with a corro cub i once owned.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:12 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, a ten year old thread, and I don't see any newer.
I wished I had searched for servo bounce years ago. I'm sure I've tossed a few thinking they were bad. After reading this, I realized it was always the aileron servos with extensions and Ys. Now where can I get either high quality extensions, or a roll of nice flexible, 3 wire servo wire. I've had some model railroad 4 wire stuff, but it is too stiff, and not sure the gauge is good enough.

Edit: Oh, hey. I just did more checking and found everything available here:
http://www.radicalrc.com/item/Radica...ba-Type-101816

Last edited by Flight Risk; 12-10-2017 at 07:32 PM.