Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Can't read voltage on RX Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Can't read voltage on RX Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 06:27 AM
ScaleME
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't read voltage on RX Battery

Can anyone offer up the potential problem to this situation.

A plane I was once able to read the voltage on the rx battery now will not show the voltage. It reads something like -0.04 volts. However the plane does take a slow charge. I had a problem fast charging it too but suddenly that works now. I can't easily get to the battery, other than via the charge jack wire. It seems to hold the charge ok but I don't like not knowing my voltage. Yes I did make sure the rx switch was "off".

Thanks for any insights into my situation.

ScaleMe
Old 03-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a problem which, if you value your plane, will have to be solved even if you have to remove the equipment from the plane to do so. Sounds like a crash just waiting to happen.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 PM
mulligan

If you can't meter the voltage through the charge port, the charge is not going to be reliable. Assuming there is nothing wrong with your voltmeter and you are connecting the leads correctly, one guess would be a loose solder joint in the battery pack.

Rodney is right. Wwhenever a battery pack starts exhibiting inconsistencies, it's best to replace it. $20 of prevention is worth $200 of cure.

One last thing. The problem may not be in your battery, but in the switch/charge port harness. You should first eliminate that as a cause by testing it thoroughly with a different battery pack.

- George
Old 03-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Kaos Rulz

Originally posted by mulligan

One last thing. The problem may not be in your battery, but in the switch/charge port harness. You should first eliminate that as a cause by testing it thoroughly with a different battery pack.

- George
I agree with George. I think your problem is in the charging lead/connector of the switch. Take a voltage check at the battery connector. (removed from the switch harness). If the voltage is good, replace/repair the switch harness. If the voltage is bad, replace the battery pack and check again at the switch.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:22 PM
ScaleME
My Feedback: (3)

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks guys, I have hangered the plane until I can resolve the problem. Thanks for the good advice.

ScaleMe