Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Canopy glue

Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
trickydevil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy glue

Is "household Goop" good for glueing canopies?

Has anyone used it for this purpose?

Thanks

Richard
Old 07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
meaden

Default RE: Canopy glue

Formula 560.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

I've tried goop and it will work OK, but it can be messy. I prefer the "canopy glue" sold as RC 56 or formula 560. It is a thin watery glue that dries flexible and clear. I prefer to paint it on with a small brush (both surfaces) and let it dry a little and then put the parts together. It takes very little glue to do this.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
crawler tech

Because RC 56 and Formula 560 is so watery, I prefer Goop. I have yet to contain the RC 56 glue to the area I wanted to apply it to, it just runs off and makes a mess. I am sure I could try a different technique and have more success by why? Goop works so well.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 PM
da Rock

RC56 and F560 work great. Shake the bottle and it isn't runny.

I actually like the somewhat thin consistency. I run a bead around the inside of the canopy and smooth it with a Q-tip. The Q-tip either removes excess or pushes it over to areas that were too thin. Set the canopy aside and do the same application to the fuselage. When you've gone around that with a Q-tip, the glue on the canopy has gotten some tack to it. At that point, I take a bit of time and tear off a couple of strips of masking tape the right length to hold the canopy down. And that lets both glue applications get a bit more tack.

Place the canopy, adjust it, press lightly and some glue squished out some places. Wipe that with a wet paper towel and put on the masking tape. Any more glue squeezes out? Wipe it off and walk off.

And excess that squeezes up inside the cockpit you just ignore. It's going to dry clear.

Never seen any product that so perfectly fits the job. Dead simple and easy to do. Great stuff.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:04 AM
meaden

yup, what da Rock said. [8D]
Old 07-07-2007, 02:22 PM
trickydevil

I have used it now and it worked well.

Richard
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "Goop" will work but it usually looks like hell when it's dry.

The RC-56 works very well. As another said, shake the bottle or stir up what's sitting on the bottom and it thickens right up. Most people use waaaay too much RC-56 when they install a canopy and it runs all over the place when they do. The secret is to rough up any covering where the canopy will sit with some 150 grit sand paper. Use a thin bead of the RC-56 and tape the canopy in place for 24 hours or a little longer. It dries even faster if you drill a 1/16" or smaller hole somewhere in the canopy that's not going to be obvious. Vents the moist air if you have a sealed canopy/deck section. Wipe off any excess with a water dampened paper towel before it dries.