Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

covering with coverall

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

covering with coverall

Old 03-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Toddly1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering with coverall

I am working with Sig coverall for the first time, I've used plenty of monocote. I have completed covering the wing and it came out well. I'm wondering about what is the best thing to do with the fuse and control surfaces which are either sheeted or solid balsa. Should I continue with the same process or just paint with Butrate dope?
Old 03-13-2003, 03:31 AM
PT21Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default Koverall

I use koverall on all open framework sections. Then I use glass cloth and epoxy finishing resin on fully sheeted sections. After 3 or 4 coats of nitrate dope on the koverall to seal it, I just prime the whole thing and then paint it.

Jerry
Old 03-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Toddly1

Thanks Jerry, Whats the process for using fiberglass? What weight cloth, how do you apply? Thanks, Todd
Old 03-14-2003, 02:26 AM
Azcat59

Todd, use .6 oz glass cloth, and the easy way to apply it to round areas like fuselages is to use nitrate dope. A couple of thin coats on the wood first, lightly sand, then lay the cloth on, and brush the dope on top of the cloth, which will penetrate through it. Let dry and clean off the flashing with sandpaper. Give it several more coats of nitrate dope, make sure you let it dry for 72 hours before any other paint, then shoot primer on it. Nice finish, light weight, and pretty hard to mess it up.

Clair Sieverling
Old 03-14-2003, 02:56 AM
Toddly1

Default Koverall

Thanks Clair,
Whats the advantage of the fiberglass cloth over the Koverall and is Nitrate dope easier to use than epoxy resin?
Old 03-14-2003, 04:05 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Just keeping using the Coverall even on the sheeted fuse. Its lighter than .6 oz cloth. I use it quite often. I have a Pica Cessna 182 that is fully sheeted and I plan on use Coverall and dope. I use Sig Colored dope the finish.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:39 AM
Azcat59

I find it hard to believe that Coverite or Koverall is lighter than .6 oz. per square yard. The stuff is like light weight silk.

The nitrate dope is easier to use than epoxy on curved surfaces at least. Simply drape the cloth on, which adheres like a wet T shirt, and start painting with the nitrate, while you listen to the radio, or whatever. It does take several coats to be primer ready, whereas the epoxy takes only two. Either will give you a great hard primer ready surface, with no visible seams.

Clair Sieverling
AMA 15654
Old 03-14-2003, 03:47 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

What I like about Coverall is that it shrinks with heat, you pull it around a curve and apply some light heat and conforms perfectly.