Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Looking for second plane!

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Looking for second plane!

Old 03-16-2003, 04:22 AM
Flyin' fast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for second plane!

Help me!!!

I'm looking for a second plane. Any sugestions????

I have heard that the tiger II 40 was a great plane. But I also saw a plane called Super Sport 40s? What do you thing?
Old 03-16-2003, 05:05 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Second plane

The Goldberg Tiger II is an excellent second plane, either the .40 or .60 size. Also the Sig 4-Star 40 and 4-Star 60 are great- especially if you want a tail-dragger.

Another great plane is the 'stik' type. Like the Big Stik, Ugly Stik, Lucky Stik, etc. They also come in a variety of sizes.

All these planes have big wings and will land slow and easy. They are all available as ARF's too.

I am not familiar with the Super Sport 40 but if it has a big wing and is pretty light then it should work too.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Re-Builder

Flyin' fast, I am a relative newbie to the sport (about 2 years now) but will tell you that your second plane is a big step. I am assuming that you have or had a trainer. IMHO, the 4*.40 is NOT a good second plane. Try to get a mid wing plane like a mid star .40 or even a Sig somthin extra. The low wing planes are very touchy and you have to be ready or they will roll right into the ground. After my father flew and crashed his, the guys at our field were saying that the 4* really is harder to fly than people say.
The Super Stunt 40 is a great plane, just be gentle. Any of the stick planes are great. Be ready and have a good time!

My .02
Old 03-16-2003, 07:12 AM
rcpilot44
My Feedback: (1)

I can't speak for the 4 star 40, but my second plane was a 4 star 60. It is a floater. I have a Magnum 91FS on it. It is not hard to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	63310_24274.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	38701  
Old 03-16-2003, 01:13 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I would respectfully disagree. I believe the 4* is one of the better second planes out there. For most people it would make a better 2nd plane than an SE. The mid-star would also make a good second plane.

Originally posted by Re-Builder
Flyin' fast, I am a relative newbie to the sport (about 2 years now) but will tell you that your second plane is a big step. I am assuming that you have or had a trainer. IMHO, the 4*.40 is NOT a good second plane. Try to get a mid wing plane like a mid star .40 or even a Sig somthin extra. The low wing planes are very touchy and you have to be ready or they will roll right into the ground. After my father flew and crashed his, the guys at our field were saying that the 4* really is harder to fly than people say.
The Super Stunt 40 is a great plane, just be gentle. Any of the stick planes are great. Be ready and have a good time!

My .02
Old 03-16-2003, 03:36 PM
flyfree69

GO WITH THE 4*60, I HAVE ONE AND IT FLYS GREAT WITH A 61FX IN IT ,, ITS EASY TO FLY AND LANDS AS SLOW AS YOU WANT IT TO,,,, THEN LATER YOU CAN CLIP THE WINGS AND BASH IT A LITTLE;;;;;
Old 03-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Flyin' fast

Thanks for all the info! That helps a lot when I'm looking for a new plane.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:57 AM
loopnspin

Hey Flyin Fast,

The options I have seen mentioned in reply to your question are all good ones. I would like to mention another. I purchased a Hangar 9 Advance 40 after I crashed a Goldberg Tiger II. They both flew very similarly, both were tricycle gear. I would have to say that I liked the Advance 40 a little more due to the increased rudder area and also the tail structure was much stronger. I powered mine with with a K&B .48 2-stroke. I have seen about 3 guys in our club go right to the Advance 40 from their trainers and with reduced control throws at first, they all transitioned fine to this plane. Once they got comfortable with it, they increased the control throws and had a very aerobatic plane that still took off and landed very easily. As a matter of fact, with mine, once I had flown it several times I was able to land and keep the nose wheel off the ground and do touch and goes. At the time I considered my flying skills competent but not great. And the Advance 40 is a snap to put together. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 03:06 AM
Re-Builder

Well said loop!

RB
Old 03-18-2003, 11:16 AM
RCaeroguy
My Feedback: (4)

I keep wanting to get a 4 * 40 but every time I go looking, I end up with something else. I fell into a Somethin' Extra that was a great kit to put together. Then I was looking again and I fell into a Citabria and a Touche'. I'll get one someday.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:30 PM
TheParrot

I started off with a Sig Kadet Senior. My next plane was a Tiger 40 and I have to say that the Tiger was easier to land than the trainer. The Tiger is a great second plane and I would reccomend it to anyone. It flies like it is on rails smooth, fast and is very forgiving on tip stalls . Currently working on my 3rd plane a Fokker D7