Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel Pumpare driving me nuts!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel Pumpare driving me nuts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:00 AM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pumpare driving me nuts!!!

What fuel pump do you suggest for glow fuel?
I have a Hobbyco easy fueler 2 that went bad after minimal usage. I went to the hobbystore and bought a Hangar 9 hand pump thinking this is a pump that allot of the other guys use but this weekend after about 1 month of flying 1 day on the weekend it stopped working.
I've had the Six Shooter in the past but it takes a million pumps to ofill the 2x10 oz tanks in my DC-3. Can you suggest a good reliable fuel pump that won't break the bank but will last.
Does anyone use an automotive windshield washer pump. If so do you have a model #. Thanks for any feed back specially any thoughts on the aformontioned pumps that broke on me. Thanks. Deltatech
Old 08-29-2007, 08:20 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Fuel Pumpare driving me nuts!!!

Maybe I'm lucky but I've had my Hangar 9 pump from day 1..every once in a while it acts up..but i turn it gently back and forth and it starts to work ok.
good luck
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree about the Hobbico pumps. I gave up on them a long time ago. I am using a Hangor 9 now and it is also not what you would call quality. It last's longer than the Hobbico so I stay with Hangor 9 hoping that some day someone will invent one that last's longer than 90 days. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Kaos Rulz

I used the Sonic Tronics as they last a couple of years. (maybe)
I did just buy a pump from Kavan and I'm really impressed with its performance. It'll pump some fuel in a hurry. I'll be watching how long it lasts.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Sonic Tronics for years but have since switched to the lesser cost Hangar 9. I have been using the one I have now for 3 years without a problem and it gets a good amount of use. I had one of the Kavan's (several years ago) and while it pumps a lot of fuel, it did not last a full summer.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DuBro top fueler works well.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've got a Hanger 9 pump that is on it's forth year now. Still going strong.

Ken
Old 08-29-2007, 11:49 PM
deltatech

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I just don't have any luck with fuel pumps but out of all of the things you need to have to enjoy this hobby you would think that companies would figure out how to build a fuel pump that is reliable. Keep the helpful thoughts coming. Thanks. Deltatech
Old 08-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Fredsterman

I just bought a DuBro filling station. [link=http://dubro.com/DUBRO2005CATALOG/index.htm]dubro.com[/link].
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want a fuel pump that is ultra reliable and just might last forever you are going to have to get away from the usual cheap electric ones that have already been mentioned in this thread.

This is the one I use to pump kerosene and Jet A into turbine powered jets. One filling is usually a gallon of fuel so it gets a workout. I have been using mine for about 6 years now and it is still performing as well as it did the first time. It is going to cost more but think about how many times you will have to replace the cheapos and you will see it is worth the price:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=492
Old 09-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Hagermeister

Thanks for the info. I built my own can like a Jersey can but used a Sonic Tronics pump. Well that as a MISTAKE! It cost me $60 and then the switch fell apart after a few uses. I sent it back and they questioned how many times I used it and then wanted me to pay return shipping after I just paid to return it. I am trying to get a refund through the distributor and Sonic Tronics can keep it, as I don't trust it to be reliable and the customer service was not something I care to deal with again. I will definately get the Flight Box fuel pump after your recommendation. Which switch did you use? That will be another plus over the Sonic Tronics I will use a two way switch so I don't have to disconnect fuel lines to reverse flow.