Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Incidence Problem/Suggestions

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Incidence Problem/Suggestions

Old 03-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Crash Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incidence Problem/Suggestions

As an alternative to utilizing an incidence meter, is it possible to zero out a model using a bubble level? If I were to level the model with a small bubble level on the horizontal, could I then use the bubble level on the wing and the engine crankshaft to get a model set for zero incidence?

I have a GP Laser meter, but after 5 minutes of use, the thing took a dump on me so I am looking for an alternative method while I decide whether to wait months and months for it to go to Hobby services for repair or buy another one or just take up kite flying

Any help/advise/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-19-2003, 04:33 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

I guess you could, Crash, provided you knew where on the wing surface to place the level. I'm not familiar with the GP laser version, but if it has the wing-gripping gizmos as does the conventional meter I guess you could rig up something...as long as you're just looking for zero incidences.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:39 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

I always use a bubble level to zero out the fuse datum line. If the firewall and tail is also zero, I also use the small 6" bubble level to check those during installation. I always use a robarts incidence meter on the wings and stab(for non flat, non zero stabs). I don't know how you could check the incidence with a bubble level on a non-flat apendege. My advice... get a Robarts incidence meter... simple... no batteries or electronics to fail... very accurate. I use two.... place one at each wing root and then at each wing tip to check for proper wash-out/in.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:38 PM
Stick Jammer

Wing incidence can be checked (although not quite as accurate)
by leveling the fuse on a FLAT and LEVEL surface and then measuring from the surface to the center of the leading edge and then from the surface to the center of the trailing edge. Compare the two measurements. Larger measurement at the leading edge = positive incidence. You can transfer the difference in the measurements to paper and construct a triangle using the wing chord measurement where the readings were taken as the base.
You can then use a protractor to measure the degrees of incidence.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Crash Master

Many thanks for the input gents. I am not building anything that requires a high degree of accuracy. I was just looking for an alternative method to get close.

I think I'll take a look at the Robarts and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Old 03-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Giant Scale

You can use the bar that came with the laser incidence meter. Attach the bar onto your wing or tail as normal. Then set the level on top of the bar. An electronic level works great to set the incidence.