Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What kind of plane is this????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What kind of plane is this????

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:27 AM
vendman12000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of plane is this????

I just bought this plane from a guy who got it along with a bunch of other stuff he bought at an estate sale or something. He is not into r/c planes so he has no idea who the manufacturer is. It is obviously a kit (not an ARF or RTF). It is obviously a glow powered plane. Though it currently has no landing gear it was obviously wire landing gear seated in blocks in the wings. It was set up as a trike. Wing span is approximitely 55", fuselage is 46 1/2" from nose to rudder. Anyone know what kind of plane this is??? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65759.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	777279  
Old 10-06-2007, 01:01 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What kind of plane is this????

Looks like a Kaos 40. Here is the Tower Hobbies ARF version: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZT80&P=ML
Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 AM
vendman12000

Thank you ho2zoo! I think you nailed it! I just couldn't imagine taking it to the flying field not even knowing what it was. Now when people ask what it is I can respond intelligently instead of saying "Duh, I don't know". By the way, wasn't the Kaos originally a "Great Planes" kit???
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: vendman12000

Thank you ho2zoo! I think you nailed it! I just couldn't imagine taking it to the flying field not even knowing what it was. Now when people ask what it is I can respond intelligently instead of saying "Duh, I don't know". By the way, wasn't the Kaos originally a "Great Planes" kit???
No, it was originally a Bridi Kit. Joe Bridi was the designer.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, I think Jim is right in that it was a Bridi kit. I think Great Planes had 40 and 60 sized versions too. There's a fellow at my field who flies one- they fly great! Fast and smooth, like a pattern plane (which I believe is what it was designed for)! Have fun![8D]
Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Dr1Driver

The Kaos was indeed designed by Joe Bridi as a Novice pattern/pattern training plane. Great Planes had a .40 and .60 size kit of it. It's a very groovy flier; fast, smooth, and stable, but capable of some awesome aerobatics.

Dr.1
Old 10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
vendman12000

Thanks for the info everyone. I had everyting I needed right here at home to get her up and flying within a few days. Y'all are right. It is VERY fast and seems to do just about everything well. I put an A.S.P. 40 engine in her I bought from a guy along with a bunch of other parts for next to nothing. I had never heard of A.S.P. (I've always been an O.S. man) but I have to tell you I am very impressed, this thing is a screamer! It is a ball bearing ABC or ABN .40 engine but it will run circles around any of my O.S. engines, including my larger O.S. Max .45 FSR. My .45 FSR has a ringed piston for durability but the penalty is lower compression. It just won't turn the RPM's this A.S.P. 40 will.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 AM
Hossfly

vendman12000:

Your picture is a Great Planes Kaos 40. As said above, the original Kaos was designed by Joe Bridi and produced by Bridi Models. Now the original Bridi Kaos was considerably different than the GP Kaos, such as having a straight wing. The GP Kaoses were patterned after Bridi's SUPER KAOS, and his Kaos 40 which was slimmed up and had the tapered wing with a more sophisticated nose end and tail feathers. GP bought about all US mfgers. out in the "80s and early '90s. What GP never got was taken over by Horizon. Only SIG, Sullivan, Midwest, and DuBro survived (I think). After Frank G. passed on, MW also went by the wayside.

Yes, for you youngsters, Bridi's Super Kaos was a top-of-the-line Pattern Plane back in the '70s when Pattern was limited to the .65 max. displacement engines.

Now about that ASP 40 Engine. Is it one of the OS FSR .40 clones with the bolt-on front case, or the later one cast case (like most engines today) that never really caught on? I never had one of those, but have run a number of the bolt-on front cases. Yes they are very good ABC engines, however they don't last very long. I still have a couple NIB. Back in the late '80's, early '90s they would be darn near as fast on a Q-500 as a Rossi, mainly because they were 6 oz. lighter.