Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

stab repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 04:08 PM
gshepherd83
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stab repair

I am new to rc and am flying a trainer. on flight 3 an instructor was helping me and accidentally stepped on the horizontal stab, it broke flush with the fuse but didn't break the elevator. He apologized and we went to his shop and repaired it. We took it back and it flew great. The next day it broke again in the same spot IN FLIGHT, which made for an ugly landing. I dont want to take it back to him because he feels obligated to buy a new one. how can I fix this so it stays? Thanks for any help.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2002, 04:28 PM
pileit1

Default stab repair

More info is needed. Pics would be great.
What plane is it? Is the stab built-up or a solid sheet? Is it one clean break or more than one with ragged edges?

You may want to consider removing the stab and constructing a new one. Use the broken one as a template and building guide. If you are in a club, there's bound to be several other members who can help you with building a new stab. It's really not that big of a deal, especially if it is a solid sheet stab.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Default stab repair

cut away the monocoat where the joint meets and epoxy a 1/2" triangular brace. Recover and fly. Wont affect the flight. Be sure to check CG.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:58 PM
gshepherd83

Default stab repair

Thats a good idea mighty mouse any suggestions on material to use for the brace wood,aluminum...etc?
Old 03-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Jazzy

Default stab repair

Triangle stock can be found at your LHS in varying sizes & densities. You'll want something kind'o sturdy. Hardwood stock would probably be overkill and add unecessary weight. The shop personel should steer you in the right direction.
There is another kind of surgery you can perfom to help strengthen the joint after cutting and prefitting the triangle stock. Fit the stab in place where it broke off carefully removing anything that prevents it from fitting close to perfect. At two points on the stab on the break line, make a mark about 1 in. from the LE and 1 in. from the TE, (not on the elevator). Go into the kitchen drawer and see if you can find wooden skewers. Cut two 3 in. pieces. With a drill bit slightly larger than the skewer dia., drill into the fuse side of the break about 1 1/2 in. at your marks. Make sure the drill is parallel to the stab surface and parallel to the TE. place the dowels in the holes and position the broken piece directly under them exactly where it needs to be - fore and aft. With a fine point marker, or as I like to use - a dry erase marker, trace around the dowels on the broken piece. Drill into the edge of the broken piece in the center of the outline you drew the distance required. Make sure you drill parallel to the surface and not at an angle. Pre-fit everything together. When satisfied with the fit, epoxy the dowels and stab edge - just like a wing joiner. Now epoxy the triangle stock in place.
It may be wise to use 30min. epoxy for this procedure as you will need a little time to make sure the stab is at a 90 deg. angle to the vertical fin and parallel to the other side of the stab. Use masking tape or cellophane tape from the tip of the stab to the top of the vertical fin to help hold it in place.
It sounds more complicated than it actually is.

Good Luck,
Jeff
Old 03-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Default stab repair

Just like Jazzy says any Hobby store or craft store carrying balsa . Be sure the stab is level before gluing. You can put the triangle stock on the bottom or the top, but it is less noticable on the bottom. Be sure it does not affect the pushrods. You dont have to go all the way from the leading edge to the trailing edge either. You can start 1/2' in or so and angle it to make it look good. Cover it and no one will know.

Another trick, which is more complicated is installing wire bracing from the stab to the fin. But this works when you can reinforce the areas of connections.

Good Luck
Old 03-02-2002, 05:16 PM
gshepherd83

Default stab repair

I had no idea they sold "triangle stock" I will definately make a trip and try to find some. I like the dowel idea, but the stab didnt break completely off, and I dont want to have to finish breaking it to do that. Thanks alot for your suggestions. Im off to the hobby shop.........again.