Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ww1 planes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM
f4udcorsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ww1 planes.

Please help, I'm in the process of purchasing a 1/3 scale biplane. My dilemma is I haven't made up my mind between a 1/3 scale Balsa Usa PT 17, the Sopwith Pup or the Fokker D VII. All 1/3 scale. I really don't care about cost, I'm more concerned about flying characteristics of each plane. It's my first biplane. Not my first giant scale. Which one would fly the easiest with no bad tendencies???????
Old 10-18-2007, 04:37 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: ww1 planes.

You might go to this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29..._1/key_/tm.htm

http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/kits/waco40.html

http://www.freewebs.com/buzzkillingsworth/
Old 10-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The PT-17 or the Pup. But, since the PT-17 is 20 years past the WWI era the Pup would be the one to go with. Not that there's anything wrong with the D-VII. Unlike the scale planes these two will all fly about the same (overpowered with the modern gas engines compared to the originals and with a LOT less torque). The D-VII lands a bit faster and stalls a bit sooner than the other two I believe.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: f4udcorsair

Please help, I'm in the process of purchasing a 1/3 scale biplane. My dilemma is I haven't made up my mind between a 1/3 scale Balsa Usa PT 17, the Sopwith Pup or the Fokker D VII. All 1/3 scale. I really don't care about cost, I'm more concerned about flying characteristics of each plane. It's my first biplane. Not my first giant scale. Which one would fly the easiest with no bad tendencies???????

Probably the Fokker. Most really short nosed biplanes could be a bit "sudden" in their movements. And Sopwiths were fairly short nosed.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:56 AM
SPORT_FLYER

i dont really know but the sopwith looks like a floater
Old 06-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The D-VII is the better flying plane of the two war birds and A much easier plane to land. The PT-17 is the best of the group but like mentioned, it's not A WW-1 war bird, it was used as A trainer in WW-2 here in the U.S. The UK and Canada used the Tiger Moth, an even better flying plane if all you want to do is relax, not A great stunter though. For WW-1 planes another one that is A good flyer is the SE-5A and well worth lookiing at.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

The D-VII is the better flying plane of the two war birds and A much easier plane to land.
I tend to agree. The Pup has a shorter tail moment and will turn faster than the D-VII, but the Fokker is just easier to fly. I have both to build in 1/4 scale and I have flown both in 1/4 scale, to me the Pup seems "twitchier". I think the Pup is the easier to build, wing is less complicated and fuse is much simpler. If you plan to "scale it out", the Pup uses flying wires, so more to connect and disconnect when transporting. The D-VII doesn't use wires, you can remove the wings in just a couple of minutes. The D-VII is a bunch bigger than the Pup, even in 1/4 scale.

If you want better aerobatic performance, though, go with the Stearman. Not to say the WWI birds won't do much, they just don't do it as well.

My overall vote would be the D-VII
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39564.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	965897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63916.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	965898  
Old 06-07-2008, 08:50 PM
ernbar

My friend has the 1/3 BUSA Pup and it is huge, but very docile and a great floater. I forget what size gas burner he's got in it but its a big engine. It comes in slow and easy on landings.