Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Futaba - JR Mix?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Futaba - JR Mix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba - JR Mix?

I have used Futaba radio gear almost exclusively since becoming involved in this hobby. No regrets as to that choice and I`m unlikely to change now.

I have occasionally used a few cheap GWS and/or SuperTec servos, again with no real problems. These servos have all been supplied with the regular red/black/white Futaba leads and plugs.

An overseas modelling friend recently suggested that I try out some cheap imported servos. These are reasonably heavy duty servos with metal gears. The most attractive feature from this distance is the price.

However, these are all fitted with JR leads and plugs.....

Query - can JR servos be successfully used with a Futaba Tx and Rx? I have heard that plugs need to be trimmed and servos plugged in 'around the other way....' What are the facts here? Is this a desirable procedure?

Alan W

Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba - JR Mix?

You will need to switch the plug wires around. This link will show you which color wires for which shift tx/rx http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

The rx ARE NOT interchangeable with the tx.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: AlphaWhisky
Query - can JR servos be successfully used with a Futaba Tx and Rx? I have heard that plugs need to be trimmed and servos plugged in 'around the other way....' What are the facts here? Is this a desirable procedure?
Alan W
Yes, virtually any servo can be used with any receiver

Futaba servos have a little tab that sometimes needs to be trimmed off to plug into a JR receiver. A JR servo should plug directly into a Futaba Receiver.

The wires are in the same order in the connector
Ground - Brown = Black
Power - Red = Red
Signal - Orange = White

Lots of people use multiple servo brands in the same model. Some of my planes have a mixture of Futaba & Hitec.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
AlphaWhisky

Thanks guys,

That clears that up nicely.

Alan W
Old 11-09-2007, 03:26 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Sorry Campy but you are wrong on several counts.

The shift of the transmitter and reciever has nothing to do with the servos.

Shift differences between Futaba and JR only apply to items on 72mhz marketed for North America, elsewhere PPM recievers are all compatible.

As for the servos, most servos with the exception of some very old ones, conform to standard wiring, though check your installation the rotation can be different even if the plug wires are the same.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You can use any servo on the market...that simple! JR, Futaba, Blue Bird, Sanwa, KO ...You name it!
And you don't have to change any wires...Only if you use old Sanwa servos do you have to change wires on the servo plug.