Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Sodering servo leads

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Sodering servo leads

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:11 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Sodering servo leads

Gee, maybe I should go back and re-solder every joint I've made in the last 45 years before they fail.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Frjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a bit of flux , keep the job clean ,(the tip of the iron too) ,tin the stranded wire and don,t add any more solder ! All good advice . May the flux be with you!!
Old 12-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Frjock

Just one more thing , a soldering iron has a copper tip ! stranded wire is (usually) copper ! Need I say more ??
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Gollywock

ORIGINAL: Frjock

The guy is nuts! Use a bit of flux , keep the job clean ,(the tip of the iron too) ,tin the stranded wire and don,t add any more solder ! All good advice . May the flux be with you!!
Frjock- I don't quite understand what what you are trying to say.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM
MinnFlyer

I think he is referring to the post just before mine.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Jazzy

Additional flux is useful and for some, a must have. I never really used flux until I got my reliability certification. Having to touch up reflow machine solder joints visible with only a 10X magnifier using a hand-held iron made me realize the importance of flux. I was amazed at how much better the solder flowed with flux. Granted non of our servo wires are going into space or will be used in cruise missles; flux can be the difference between a good contiguous joint and a joint that will fail.
The flux I use is a no-clean liquid - not paste. Clean up is not necessary. Flux clean up can be done with a detail paintbrush (or the like) and denatured alcohol. Lightly scrub with the brush and dab or blow dry.
If you manage to eat a few potato chips or have any type of oil on your fingers when you twist your wires together you'll soon realize that unless the wire is clean, solder won't flow or even stick for that matter - rosin-core or no. If your wires have been in use or are a few years old and don't want to 'take' solder, flux is the stuff that'll help. I've even seen it work on black-wire disease.

Some tips I can think of off hand:

Plan what you are going to do.
Have everything ready.
Get the sponge form the sink and soak it to use to clean the iron tip.
Put the heat shrink over the wire(s) BEFORE you solder them together .
Inspect your joints carefully - especially for the single strand stays and 'tack' joints.
Rinse the sponge before returning it to the sink so you don't get caught .
If your new to soldering or haven't done it in a while - practice first.
And one of my fav tips: After slicing a ring around the wire's insulation and of course being careful not to nick any of the wires inside, twist the piece of insulation as you pull it off. You just saved a step and didn't have to touch the nice clean copper with your grubby fingers!

Happy Soldering!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM
jship

ORIGINAL: Jazzy

Additional flux is useful and for some, a must have. I never really used flux until I got my reliability certification. Having to touch up reflow machine solder joints visible with only a 10X magnifier using a hand-held iron made me realize the importance of flux. I was amazed at how much better the solder flowed with flux. Granted non of our servo wires are going into space or will be used in cruise missles; flux can be the difference between a good contiguous joint and a joint that will fail.
The flux I use is a no-clean liquid - not paste. Clean up is not necessary. Flux clean up can be done with a detail paintbrush (or the like) and denatured alcohol. Lightly scrub with the brush and dab or blow dry.
If you manage to eat a few potato chips or have any type of oil on your fingers when you twist your wires together you'll soon realize that unless the wire is clean, solder won't flow or even stick for that matter - rosin-core or no. If your wires have been in use or are a few years old and don't want to 'take' solder, flux is the stuff that'll help. I've even seen it work on black-wire disease.

Some tips I can think of off hand:

Plan what you are going to do.
Have everything ready.
Get the sponge form the sink and soak it to use to clean the iron tip.
Put the heat shrink over the wire(s) BEFORE you solder them together .
Inspect your joints carefully - especially for the single strand stays and 'tack' joints.
Rinse the sponge before returning it to the sink so you don't get caught .
If your new to soldering or haven't done it in a while - practice first.
And one of my fav tips: After slicing a ring around the wire's insulation and of course being careful not to nick any of the wires inside, twist the piece of insulation as you pull it off. You just saved a step and didn't have to touch the nice clean copper with your grubby fingers!

Happy Soldering!

All very good advice.
john
I wished I had said that.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Jazzy

Thanks John!!

One more: Molten solder is friggin HOT! It WILL make you dance and come up with some colorful expletives!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Gollywock

MinnFlyer- I'm not trying to start an argument here, but what you will wind up with if you make a connection as outlined in your post #45 is a copper to lead to copper splice. Not good, as lead (solder) will not flow an electric current near as good as copper, think resistance. As far as credentials, I spent 36 years with Southwestern Bell, many of those years as a cable splicer, twisting and soldering wires. Other than building model airplanes, I build radios for a past time. Jim
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Jazzy

Jim, with all due respect, it is my belief that most of us do not twist the two pieces of wire together like one would under a wirenut. That would be the best connection - but not provide a 'streamlined' joint capable of being pulled through wing ribs.
It seems to me that what is being described here is a parallel joint (not sure what the technical term is anymore...) similar to a butt joint.
So, I guess Yes, we are mostly making a copper-lead-copper connection with minimal copper-copper contact.
Even if the wires are twisted together, there still is not as much cantact as you might think after the solder bonds to the entire surface of each copper strand except where contact pressure is enough to keep it from permeating the contact point. Keep in mind this is only 20 or 22 awg wire.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 PM
MinnFlyer

Jim, there is no doubt that a copper to copper connection is better than a copper to lead to copper connection. However, even if you twist the wires together first, you will still get solder flowing between the wires. That is what solder is supposed to do.
It's not going to lay on top of the connection, it's going to flow into it - and get between each and every strand.

Now once again, it is true that by twisting them first, you will get a thinner layer of solder between the two pieces of copper, but this is exactly why the two wires are overlapped and not soldered end-to-end. it is not only for strength, but also to provide a longer contact point - thereby reducing the resistance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20304.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	818007  
Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Frjock

Sorry , no offence meant , you are obviously well informed on soldering techniques . I simply wanted to say that it,s not a dark art , just one that requires a bit of practice and patience . One more thing though ! Should you cut the cable on a servo , I,m almost positive that your warranty is dead !! So !! Extention makers beware , it,s no use going into the hobby shop and saying " My plane crashed because the servo gears stripped !!?? " . You cut the cable , you cut the warranty !! I,m sure the dealers will have something to say on this ! So let your flux flow !!
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Frjock

that was mean, to be "Let your,e flux FLOW.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Avalanche2

well, just when I thought I had it figured out.... so, do we twist the wires together or do we lay them side by side? twisting would seem better just for pure strength but, maybe not... I really do appreciate everyones help and input...
Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
MinnFlyer

It is totally up to you. I don't twist mine - been doing it since I was a kid and have never had a failure
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
huggins

ORIGINAL: Frjock

...One more thing though ! Should you cut the cable on a servo , I,m almost positive that your warranty is dead !! So !! Extention makers beware , it,s no use going into the hobby shop and saying " My plane crashed because the servo gears stripped !!?? " . You cut the cable , you cut the warranty !! I,m sure the dealers will have something to say on this ! So let your flux low !!
I had a Hitec servo bad that was still under waranty, and I had cut the wires to solder in extensions. I cut it back off and sent the servo directly to Hitec and told them what the servo was doing and why it had no connector, and they replaced the servo....no questions asked. Clearly the servo problem was not related to the wires. Can't speak for other manufactures or what your LHS guy may say.

Mike