Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce them?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.
View Poll Results: A poll
No - I like receiving them each month as I don't order often.
48.48%
I get them with my orders and also like to get the mailers.
33.33%
I've cancelled the mailers - the catalogs with my orders are enough.
18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce them?

I started getting sick of the daily amount of junk mail I was receiving and started making an effort to call and cancel the catalogs I've been receiving from seveal retailers and also promotional material from existing utilities(Comcast junk mail). Going paperless with some bills has helped as well. My junk mail is very minimal now after about three months of canceling junk mail. I note the difference in my recycling bin.

I canceled my Tower Hobbies mailer since I also get copies of the catalog in my orders. Not much difference each month and I have their web site to order my stuff. I wish I could subscribe to the annual Tower catalog only and maybe a few monthly catalogs but it's all or nothing with regards to their mailer which adds up to a lot of waste... which is kind of a bummer.

I have three annual catalogs for 2008 due to the mailers and orders.

I asked their customer sales folks if they would be changing this anytime soon to give the customer more options to receive mailers and the answer was no.

What are your thoughts?

somegeek
Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce the frequency you receive them?

Tower Hobbies Mailers.....hmmmmm....just got one today. It goes right in the ol' crapper room with the rest of the magazines. However I'm tired of seeing the same stuff in the Tower mag. It just never changes. I do like the mailer from Hobby-Lobby though...good stuff!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:09 PM
meaden

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce the frequency you receive them?

There's something FUBAR with the poll on my end...but, I do like getting the annual catalog (good, quality, bathroom time there.) I don't like the little (monthly?) catalogs. It's all on the website. I don't really like the inserts with the orders either. It's like a hobby "Val-Pack" pretty worthless and wasteful.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM
carrellh

The poll's not working...
I'm planning to cancel the mail stuff. I rarely look at it; I just use the website.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: carrellh

The poll's not working...
I'm planning to cancel the mail stuff. I rarely look at it; I just use the website.
My bad - think this was my second poll I've done. Working now. Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: meaden
I don't really like the inserts with the orders either. It's like a hobby "Val-Pack" pretty worthless and wasteful.
Good point - those go straight into the recycling bin as well for me. I think I've looked at a few of them from my past 20 orders in the last two year span... that's a lot of waste.

somegeek
Old 11-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Mode One

Default RE: Tower Hobbies Mailers - would you opt to reduce them?

Didn't vote, personally I don't care one way or the other. The mailer is free, recycle it and forget it. If you can stop it and want to, do so! Obviously Tower feels it is a worthwhile venture to spend the money on it, or they wouldn't do it.

Weird, some of you seem like you take being sent free stuff, as a personal offense!
Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 PM
somegeek

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Didn't vote, personally I don't care one way or the other. The mailer is free, recycle it and forget it. If you can stop it and want to, do so! Obviously Tower feels it is a worthwhile venture to spend the money on it, or they wouldn't do it.

Weird, some of you seem like you take being sent free stuff, as a personal offense!
There's a ton of companies that will send you free catalogs and such if you'd like... but I think you're missing the point... It's junk mail and a waste, in my opinion, if it goes from my mailbox straight to the recycling bin. Why bother getting it?

Anytime I need something from them I hit up their site. I hardly ever read the catalogs anymore.

somegeek
Old 11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Mode One

No, your missing my point: "If you can stop it and want to, do so"!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
propjobbill

I like To get there mailers, but as mentioned earlier it's always the same old stuff. I like the coupons they send with orders.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I don't want to stop it. I like junk mail.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Mode One

Still, if a person doesn't want the stuff I believe you should be able to opt out. If your just going to trash it, why should a company waste money sending it. I like getting it. I like reading while watching TV. I don't spend all my free time sitting here at the confuser.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll need to contact Tower and tell them you want to be taken off the mailing list. You can also opt out of any emails they send, too.

Frankly, though, Tower gets many, many more complaints from people who, for some reason, don't get the regular mailings and emails than they do from people who don't want them. However, if you don't want them, please let their Customer Service people know.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Rebsix
My Feedback: (8)

I keep the mailers in my truck and give them, and my MA magazines, to the new people or interested people that stop by the field. I look at it as advertising for Tower/AMA and free advertising for the club.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 PM
meaden

Rebsix,

That's a good use of both...recycling to people new to the hobby. Old news is new news to them. Hopefully, they'll recycle when it's old news to them.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:41 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The mailers do all look the same. Maybe it would be a good thing to reduce the frequency they send them. They could save a few trees and some space in the landfill. Maybe they could just send out an email with a link to a virtual TowerTalk.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
gasguy
My Feedback: (13)

My barber shop would like to opt out. But I like them. The coupons are
great for mixing epoxy.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Mode One

Still, Tower would not send them to you, if they did not fulfill their purpose!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I like looking at them. But I get three. One at work and two at home. One at home has middle int one dosn't. All three have the same customer #. I got about 10 of them this spring offering me a special get aquanted offer. Of course the code would not work since I am already in the system.

David
Old 11-20-2007, 10:39 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Tower sends out too many mailers they send at least two of each one and I feel
they should only send them when a new one is printed. Maybe they could save some
money and pass the saveings on to the cust.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:18 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I LIKE anything to do with model aviation - and don't think it is junk mail at all - 'junk mail' lies in the mind of the beholder....now if I could STOP getting requests for credit cards
Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM
emspjay

I like the mailers, and I love the big one they send out for the whole year. The monthly one sometimes have very good deals (but checking the website is the best way to get a good deal). I either recycle the mailers or use them as packing materials for items I sell on Ebay. "waste not want not" It is people that don't recycle that kill trees, not Tower Hobbies. Besides our planes are made out of wood, don't we kill trees when our planes crash? and then get thrown in the trash? Why did I not recycle my last crashed plane? Is there a recycle center for RC planes? if there is I have a basement full of planes that can be recycled.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:59 AM
meaden

I'm the guy that pulls crashed planes out of the trash. I have a monster box of scrap balsa
Old 11-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like them better if thay offered something that I needed, or wanted. Normally (the one that I just received on Tuesday is no different) is filled with electric power and ARF models, add to that the boats and car stuff (none of which holds any interest for me) and then some radio gear (which I don't need) and a few tools (of which I have a shop full of), and there is nothing left that they could sell to me. I like the big book that comes out a couple of times a year, and I like the way they catalog everything in the big one by section. Just my opinion, but I have to agree with the too much junk mail thing.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1