Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fool Proof way to test Rx's ???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fool Proof way to test Rx's ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fool Proof way to test Rx's ???

Hey gang,

I picked up a few 'excellent to good' condition Futaba 127DF's off here and that other site (RC*'s). Is there a good way to test these things. I hear some people say it's better to replace old Rx's then to take a chance on loosing signal. If you get chatter for example, how do you know it's not a bad servo, weak battery, antenna not fully extended (saw that plenty of times at the field ! [:@]) or ???

Or is the only option that I have for 'testing' the field range check (i.e. Antenna down, electronics on, and about 50'-100' from airplane)

Thanks!

Wiqar
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Fool Proof way to test Rx's ???

Do you have or can you borrow one of those Dremel jig saws, the one that moves the blade up and down?

Tape the receiver to the metal table, no foam, no padding. Connect up a few servos and a battery and start the saw.

You may want to put a long stick on each servo arm to be able to see if it stops moving.

Or more importantly, that it remains stationary with NO INPUT.

If there are any vibration induced problems, the bouncing saw will find them.

Oh, and that 100' range check at the same time will help too.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:34 AM
BillS

In the past I have put an eraser tip on an engraving tool and used it to vibrate the receiver. Didn't find the problem but I felt better.

Bill
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Kevlar
My Feedback: (47)

Sorry for the dump question, but why are you vibrating the Rx? To ensure nothing is 'loose' on the circuit board? Maybe the a tuning Cap, Resistor, or Diode isn't off wack or loose as well?

I'll rent a jack hammer just to be on the safe side....
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The receivers should be tested while vibrating because it simulates the vibration caused by the engine when it's running. For the same reason, range checks should be performed with the engine running. Many times a receiver will work perfectly well until it's subjected to vibrations, and they can quit working.

One of the best ways I've found to test receivers that are purchased used, as in your case here, is to simply send it in to a repair facility to check them out. They will do a complete test of the receiver and do a tune up on it for a very reasonable price. Easy money spent for the piece of mind it gives you knowing the receiver does work properly.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
jasonm0673

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 127df dual conv rx .. My question is the line up on the channels. i thought that #3 was the throttle.. it turns out that #2 is the throttle. Can anyoine tell me when this one is different or is all the books and everyone at the feild wrong... Or is the problem in tha Tx (Futaba 6eax) ?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Dorsal
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a Futaba TX and RX, the throttle should be channel 3, at least for mode 2 transmitters (throttle on the left hand stick). Have you checked the setup with a different receiver? If that one is different, you should send it in to get it checked. If they're all the same, send in your transmitter.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put them all in A box with A short note stating what you want {check up} and send them to someone like Radio South for A check up!!
Old 07-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry Ken, I didn't read all of your post until I went back and took another look.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jasonm0673

i have a 127df dual conv rx .. My question is the line up on the channels. i thought that #3 was the throttle.. it turns out that #2 is the throttle. Can anyoine tell me when this one is different or is all the books and everyone at the feild wrong... Or is the problem in tha Tx (Futaba 6eax) ?
The order of the channels is determined by the transmitter, not the receiver.