Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:21 PM
pie717

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide

Hey, I'm a simple 13 year old looking for my next plane and need to figure out if I should get the hagar 9 40 sized piper cub pnp or the hobbico nexstar select. Now don't tell me anything about experience. I've worked at a hobby shop all summer, can fly a t-rex 450 better than anyone I know, can hold a hangar 9 twist 150 in a hover forever, and every hobbist in town konws me. I wan't a plane other than 3D for a change so I can just sit in a chair at the field and fly around. Also eventually put floats on and fly at the near by lake. My budget is up to 400 dollars. I already have field eqimpment and my 9 channel radio. I like how the piper cub has scale and size but the nexstar has that aerobatic airfoil that can do stunts better when wanted. what do you guys think? What would you guys get? Thanks!
Heres some links..

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN4025
http://www.hobbiconexstar.com/nexstar-select/index.html
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
mickeymouse23
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: help me decide

I personally would not chose either, The cub is hard to take off and the trainer would be to much a trainer. I would go with something like an avistar, It is extreamly proven at the feild as a good put around plane and will also do a handfull of aerobatics. I also would sugest a Sig kadet senior kit. Flatten the wing out, add airlones, and some carbon to the wing and put on a 60 or 90 2 stroke and have unlimited vertical but throtle down and you will have a plane that will slow to a crawl. The kadet senior will aslo make a good float plane also.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:43 PM
carrellh

I think you might get bored with the Nexstar. Cubs do seem to be "natural" candidates for floats. Between the two I'd choose the Cub.

Would a Great Planes Big Stik or Hangar 9 Ultra Stick interest you? Or possibly a SIG Four Star? Any of these can be a gentle flyer and are fairly aerobatic when you're in that mood.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

If you have never flown a Cub, you are missing out! Since you are a heli and 3D pilot, you will really enjoy the Cub. With the Cubs long wing, rudder management is a must. Start your turns and barrel rolls with rudder, then aileron. They are a great lazy day flyer, and with a bigger engine, they are capable of every scale maneuver. I'd put a .91 4 stroke in it, if you can afford too, if not, a .61 will also do nicely.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Jester241

Big Stick!.....Comes in .40 or .60 sized!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMM8&P=0

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46733.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	815509  
Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Insanemoondoggie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also help out at a LHS , and get to sample many planes and also have 3 Cubs, in 3 different configs. Cubs are tail chasers on the ground . In a cross wind , your going to have one heck of a time. And I`m going to get beat for saying this, They are boring with the full size wing . My Goldberg Cub was built with a clipped wing and a Saito .72 . and is the most fun of the 3.

With your heli background , A trainer will last you about 10 flights and you`ll be bored with it. I would recommend a Sig 4* , you can fly it slow like a trainer or bump it up and have some fun too. And I have yet to find an ARF built as well as a Sig.\

If you prefer a highwing check out the Protege [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=901]Review[/link]
Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
iron eagel

Try one of these, good flying, takes floats well, and can handle aerobatics. Set it up with a OS 55AX and it will perform outstanding.

SIG Rascal ARF

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39212.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	815522  
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
pie717

Yea I have 1 e-flite stick and I love how It can turn from cruiser to aerobat but I also want some scale too