Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Recover 4* 60

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 03:41 PM
BAlbertsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recover 4* 60

I am in the process of recovering a 4* 60 plane. It was origanlly covered with black Monokote, and now I want to cover with a yellow ultracote. For the most part the old monokote has been removed. It has left some black residue in spots and there are some spots that it is a real pain to get all the little scraps off. Can I cover overtop of these spots or will they show through the new covering (yellow ultracote).

Old 12-12-2007, 04:04 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Recover 4* 60

Yellow Ultracote is not very opaque. Everything shows through it.
You might be able to use Monokote Trim Solvent http://www.monokote.com/accys/topr6020.html to remove more of the residue.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Acetone will take it off - but read the label and follow the precautions!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:17 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

I just had the same problem. I used Xylene (you can get it at any home improvement store.). It worked much better than Acetone. But, there were still places that I couldn't remove. I painted a light coat of white paint (any kind) over the places and the covering looked great. Don't use Kilz to cover the spots. It worked, but it melted under the heat gun for the covering. Caused a little blistering under the covering, but not bad. Just created a little more work smoothing the covering in those places. I used poly paint and it was not affected by the heat gun.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
rceric

I just stripped my Four Star 60 (after a crash) and am ready to start the recover. I am nervous because I suck at it. Please post some pics and let me know how it goes. My dad did the first cover job on it but this one is up to me.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 05:56 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

I found a great trick for removing those last stubborn shreds of covering. Use packing tape. Get a piece of tape, press it firmly on the wood over the scraps, and peel off quickly. (like waxing, ask your wife/girlfriend) For really stubborn scraps, Iron on the tape with your monokote iron. Works great for me, no sanding or solvents.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Jester241

I heat up the residue with my heat gun a little and while its good and warm rub your finger over it repeatidly and some of it will rub off. I've discovered that CA debonder works miracles for wiping off the residue from ironing on monokote,so I'm thinking it might work nice for wiping off that residue from removing mono too. I've already had to sand the stuff off already too,but you have to be careful.

As for the little pieces of mono intself(not just the residue),your gonna wanna get it off of there because even if you cant see the color difference through the new mono,you'll definetly see the outline of those litte pieces through the new stuff. Try heating the crap out of that stuff with you heat gun too,the little edges might curl up enough to get ahold of them to be able to peel them up.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Penuts

I also used a heat gun to remove the old covering with, works great.
I also used ultracote , it's easy to work with. Well i think so anyways.
Just take your time you will do just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77059.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	825115  
Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get that heat gun and melt it off...

Seriously. A nice strong hit with the heat gun and it'll dance off.