Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

#11 Blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:36 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #11 Blades

I'm intending to buy a box of 100 #11 blades with my next Tower order. The question is whether or not the Tower brand blades will cut Monokote as well as the more expensive blades sold by Hobbico or Xacto? I cut on glass and am not hesitant to change blades if it starts to drag. The difference in price would buy a couple glow plugs. Case of beer. Roll of Monokote. Case of beer. Two or three props. Case of beer.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: #11 Blades

I get the cheapest.
They wear out rapidly in the 'Kotes.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM
flipstart

Try the throw away scapels that surgeons use, I have a friend in medical field, super sharp and price is right. Suppose anyone in medical could get you some. Makes the #11 blades look like a dull hoe. They also last much longer on the monokotes and tex fabric coverings.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used expensive blades directly from X-Acto as well as the cheapo "no name" blades and for the life of me I couldn't tell a difference between them. They all seem to dull at the same rate, especially when cutting or trimming Monokote or Ultracoat.

Ken
Old 12-16-2007, 09:07 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I've used expensive blades directly from X-Acto as well as the cheapo "no name" blades and for the life of me I couldn't tell a difference between them. They all seem to dull at the same rate, especially when cutting or trimming Monokote or Ultracoat.

Ken
Ditto what Ken just said...................it got to be such a pain to stop and replace a blade (not to mention that they should go farther than they do), that i now have a super fine stone that i use to bring the edge back with just a couple swipes on the stone.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:11 AM
MasterAlex

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Ditto what Ken just said...................it got to be such a pain to stop and replace a blade (not to mention that they should go farther than they do), that i now have a super fine stone that i use to bring the edge back with just a couple swipes on the stone.
Summerwind

What kind of stone do you use? Any particular brand? Can you snap a pic or two? Thanks!
Old 12-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arkansas stone. Ultra fine. I've been sharpening all my blades for years. Becuase of that I've only bought 1 box of 100 blades over the last 5 years or so. If you don't break off the points they last a long, long time.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
JollyPopper

With the stone, can you get the tip sharp enough to slice through the Monokote/Ultracote without snagging it? It seems that only the points go dull. I have a couple of good stones. Maybe with a little practice, I can re-sharpen the points? I also kind of like the throw away scalpel idea. Maybe I can find a source for them.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:07 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Don't waste your time with X-Acto blades (which aren't NEARLY as sharp, these days, as they used to be).

Go to Home Depot or whatever and get a 100-count box of single-edge razor blades. Much sharper, don't dull as quickly, easier to use (IMO), cheaper, etc.

Or, just drink some beer and don't worry about it.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
alpinestar

Ditto the single edge... cheap & work at least as well in most situations. I use these and the cheap #11 blades & throw lots away. I usually stock up on blades & mixing cups at the Toledo show, and get boxes of 1000 popsicle sticks for mixing at Meijer for something silly like $4.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Stew99

Same for me; I use the single edge razor blades for almost all my covering. The only time I use a #11 blade is for getting into tight corners.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM
JollyPopper

Are you folks who are using single edge razor blades using a holder of some kind with them or just the blade? Also have found that I can get 100 #11 surgical blades and 2 stainless steel handles shipped for under $20.00. That is more than 100 cheapo hobby blades but less than Xacto blades--kind of middle of the road. Maybe the surgical scalpel blades would be sharper and hold an edge longer than the hobby blades? I suppose the thing to do is get the scalpel blades and a box of single edge blades and use both depending on where. I THINK I kind of like the idea of a handle on the scalpel blades for more precise control than just a bare single edge razor blade, but not having used either, I am not a good judge.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
SPLIT S

I just use the single edge razor on its' own - no holder. I can cut a much straighter line with a razor blade as opposed to a knife. One thing I have noticed is that the Zona #11 blades seem to be the sharpest I have come across. It doesn't much matter though - the knife is sure to roll off the table taking the tip with it right after I put a new blade in...[:@]

Dan
Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
scratchonly

I use a Olfa paper knife with break off blades for all of my covering and much of my building (other than heavy carving); always sharp and I find they are sharper than hobby knife blades.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:45 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

the single edge blades Rock! I have one that Ive been using, had it for over 4 years and its been kicking around my modeling area for all that time with no cover and some moderate use.... Its Still sharper and will cut monokote better than a Brand New #11 Blade. The #11's are great for use on wood, but only last me about 2 min for film coverings.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:51 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using a box of 100 single edge blades that I bought 28 years ago. Paid $3.50 for them.
Just started using them yesterday.