Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many still keep a trainer around?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How many still keep a trainer around?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How many still keep a trainer around?

I plan on a couple new planes soon. One will be a warbird of some sort but I'm not sure on the other. Since I have a .46 with no home, I'm actually contemplating some sort of trainer plane. I figure it would be nice to have around for lazy, low stress flying, shooting touch & go's, and so on. I'm not sure if I'm going to build something like an LT-40 or just get some sort of ARF but I'll figure that part out.

Are there any others who would consider themselves intermediate or even advanced pilots who still have some sort of trainer that they take out now and then? Just curious.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many still keep a trainer around?

I still have my LT40 and it gets flying time every time I go out after a flying layoff. It's also a good choice for experimenting with new ideas.

I would recommend that you build it yourdelf and as a tail dragger. I did that to mine and it worked well. It would be a lot easier to do the tail wheel mod during initial construction.

Regards
Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
meaden

Me. I'd call myself an intermediate flyer. I haven't taken my trainer out in a while but I keep it in the hanger in flying shape. When I have taken it out it felt kinda odd to fly a plane that isn't as aerobatic as my others. Makes you focus on other points of your flying skills.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chuck, I'm way beyond intermediate, but I still like a nice easy flier now and then. A trainer is good for that, but when I think "Easy, yet fun" the two best planes that come to my mind are the Goldberg Clipped-Wing Cub and the Goldberg Tiger II
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
TCrafty

I've still got my Kadet Sr. around and I fly it a lot. I've gone through some engines and had another wing built for it (with less dihedral). I use it to try new things and to get a better grip on actual plane control.

MY RANT: I am amazed at how many folks fly a trainer for two weeks and then are ready for a P-51 or Extra. They put away their trainer and keep replacing planes for whatever reason they can blame it on at the field. If you want to move on, fine. But, keep flying the trainer and learn how to REALLY control it! Fly lower, slower and smoother with the trainer and it'll help you when you are flyin the Extra. END RANT...
Old 12-19-2007, 06:22 PM
meaden

ORIGINAL: TCrafty

MY RANT: I am amazed at how many folks fly a trainer for two weeks and then are ready for a P-51 or Extra. They put away their trainer and keep replacing planes for whatever reason they can blame it on at the field. If you want to move on, fine. But, keep flying the trainer and learn how to REALLY control it! Fly lower, slower and smoother with the trainer and it'll help you when you are flyin the Extra. END RANT...
I totally agree with your rant! But really, how many good 2nd plane kits or ARFs are out there? When I learned, I flew a Falcon 56, a Skylark, then divided my time between a Kaos and a Kougar. It seems like the only steps between a trainer and an Extra are a 4* or...?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Its always good to have an easy flyer in the hangar. If you dont want to go all the way back to a trainer there are lots of other easy flying options to choose from. A slow poke or pete n poke are planes that I would consider if I were looking for a smooth flyer.

I am about to build a big trainer from plans (QB monster) to teach my son on. It will also be a nice lazy flyer. I am going to put a smoke system, candy drop, and flaps for a little variety. Its going to be a blast with my trusty magnum 91 4 stroke.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
starfire73

I will always keep one around for training purposes. I think I'm going to convert my trainer to a float plane to. Or maybe put a video camera. I don't know. It'll be my experiment plane.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Jburry

I keep my Andrews S-ray 3 channel trainer around too. Usually it makes the trip to the field with me along with the mustang. It's a carefree blast to fly, so slow (50mph compared to the 90+mph mustang), and lands with a 20' rollout compared to the whole runway the 'stang takes.

Also, it's good for playing pass-the-box with whoever I'm trying to addict this week. It's amazing how effective this is (even without buddy boxing) if a few simple rules are discussed before the fun begins.

When it finally gets destroyed, I'll build another sunday flyer. Maybe not a trainer, but a slow, manuverable, easy plane of some sort... Hey, I'll have all the gear, it don't go fast enuf to break much...

J
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Modified LT 40. 1/2 the dihedral and a slightly bigger rudder. I let anyone who shows up to watch fly on the buddy box . This plane handles so well I even fly it with LEDs on in the dark. It flys inverted well with the reduced dihedral. Its the best relaxing plane I have
love doing one wheel touch and goes!
Old 12-20-2007, 12:00 AM
chashint

I still like to fly the trainer too. It is very different from my other planes but a lot of fun in its own right.
An LT 40 with 1/2 to 1/3 of the normal dihedral would be a real sweet plane. Still very stable but much less self correcting.
I would go tail dragger with it too.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Goldberg Cub makes a nice trainer, provided the instructor is good enough. My GC is easier to fly than most trainers.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:26 AM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still love my Falcon...

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49849.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	829925  
Old 12-20-2007, 09:29 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

I still keep a couple hanging in the rafters in case I have to have something to fly (that will be pretty bad if I go through everything else in the hanger!) Really, I keep them ready to go if my son wants to go fly or if we're having a fun-fly and I want to put something out trying to get new members. It has worked out very well. One afternnon we had some spectators come out (a family) I had the trainer set-up and asked the family if they wanted to get some flight time. The son flew and the next weekend he and his Dad were in the club with a new set-up. The son ended up soloing in 8 flights and is now a great pilot. Another year, and I'll be learning from him!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I`ve have 2 LT40s , One stock and one bashed a little. Would`nt be with out one.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I keep my modified trainer (SPAD Debonair) in service for Aerial Video. I also inherited a Nexstar from a club member that didn't want to repair it. I use that for demonstration flights.

Brad
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
KI8FR

I till have my Hobbico flite star that I picked up for my kid in 1986. The my kids did not get in to it much so I keep it here so when I have a chance to take some one out so show them what R/C is like I put them on that one.

Paul
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
brent0609

I think i will always have a LT 40. Have had a bomb on mine. Flew it i think 2 years on skies. We have had a private club "farmers field". Myself and a few others have trainer combat in the summer. It's a rush,and soo much fun we are all belly laughing. we have only cut one ribbon though. Mine was a kit, converted to taildragger and has a evolution 60 now. Think i fly it more than any other of my planes: slow poke,pts mustang, twist 40,1/5 sig cub. Plan on joining a formal club this year hope we can still have trainer combat. If we can't plan on just saying " we are playing folow the leader with ribbons on
Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
jetmech05

I still fly an LT-40 and have a modified LT-40 as well....
Old 12-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I still fly an LT-40 and have a modified LT-40 as well....
And Me-I still have my origanal LT-40, kit build. It's been repaired many, many times. It taught me to fly, and a quite a few others have had stick time on it as well. It goes with me on all our Club's "Learn to Fly" days, and when I get someone interested to come up and try RC flying. I still like to fly it every now and then just to have a nice relaxing flight, plus it's great to do "touch n goes" with. So, it's always ready for the next trip to the field. We have been having trainer pylon races for two years, but I won't risk the "ole LT-40" to a mid-air, which I've had three in the races. In fact, the trainer in the picture doesn't exist any more due to a mid-air. But as you can see, I didn't loose much when I lost that one. And those mid-airs do look sooooo kool. A also have an Elder 40 kit built that I love to fly on nice relaxing day. It also is a lot of fun to do touch n goes.
John

Name:	Vt58504.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	831147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51225.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	831148  
Old 12-23-2007, 04:19 PM
voyager_663rd

No trainers. Crashed 'em all. I then went on to spad's and thats how I learned.

As far as getting a plane for that 46, consider a cub. I've got one and I use it as the lazy I-don't-feel-like-having-to-control-this-constantly plane.

And I fly a 100 mph spad delta to a 50cc gasser to this cub.

The different mix is suitable for how you feel that particular day.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: voyager_663rd

As far as getting a plane for that 46, consider a cub. I've got one and I use it as the lazy I-don't-feel-like-having-to-control-this-constantly plane.
A cub is definitely another option. Not quite a trainer but still on the slow and lazy side and nicer looking. I'd have to put a 4-stroke on a cub though and stick my .46 on something else. That would be an excuse to get a new engine too.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
BillyGoat

A trainer is part of my fleet as well to take up anybody that has even the slightest interest in flying R/C. Don’t really fly it just for the heck of it though. I have other planes that fill the bill for low stress flying.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

No reason to not keep it around...

LT-40 is a great flier in my opinion for cruising around.

somegeek
Old 12-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Sourkraut

I kept my NexStar and my Tiger 60 for some relaxing flying on the days when I don't feel like doing speed, 3D or aerobatics. One always goes to the field with me.

Name:	Ge95598.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	832523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37842.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	832524  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.