Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Running in

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Tomahawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running in

Is running in or ''breaking in'' the (O.S.) motors really needed.

Tomahawk
Old 04-09-2003, 07:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Running in

Yes, but it's not nearly as complicated as some people make it sound. Just fill your tank, start the engine, and let it run a little rich. Refill the tank and start it again.

After two tanks, I lean it out to where it should be (but never too lean!) and start flying.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:04 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Running in

I do the same, but I break it in flying usually. Sometimes run one tank on the ground, but not always. Just broke in my .46 FX in the air. Great running engine.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Default Running in

I am with MinnFlyer ! 2 Tanks is all they need on the ground. When you fly them new out of the box, just make sure you don't flyn them at only one throttle setting duringb the whole flight(specially not full throttle all the time). Move the throttle stick around a little while in flight.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default Running in

Ok, truth is, I fly 'em too. I just didn't want to get bashed too hard! LOL
Old 04-10-2003, 02:58 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Running in

I am getting good at getting bashed. Seems like a lot of guys don't like it if you do it their way anymore.

Oh well, they can be mad. I am just going to have fun.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:30 PM
CafeenMan

Default Running in

I always run a new engine on a test stand first just to make sure it works. There's nothing worse than getting to the flying field and not flying because the engine doesn't work right.

Also, if you know the engine works on the stand, but not in the plane, then you also know the problem is in the fuel-system - not the engine.

But most of the breaking in is done in the air after I run a tank or two through the engine on the stand.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:49 AM
Charlie P.

Default Running in

Had some fun beaking in a new O.S. 70 Surpass with a 13 x 8 prop a week ago. I clamped my test stand to a saw-horse and set it out in my driveway on a dusting if fresh snow. When I opened it up full it pulled the saw-horse and all a foot or so before I could throttle back! Never tried one on snow before. I was quite impressed.

Manual said to open it up full throttle, but alternate from overly rich for 10 seconds to "near maximum r.p.m." for 5 seconds. After 15 minutes of this 15 second cycle I got pretty good at judging by sound and sight (cloud of oil) whether the engine was running rich or not. I confess that by the second tankful I was letting it go more than 5 or 10 seconds between adjustments, but I was also changing the throttle settings. I think I'm gonna like 4-cycles.

By the end of the second tankful it would idle down and purr like a kitten.