Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Kick'n it up a notch (Nitro)

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Kick'n it up a notch (Nitro)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:41 AM
HangerBum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kick'n it up a notch (Nitro)

Ok, please forgive the rather fundemental question but I have never bothered to learn the blending nuances of the glow fuels I use. I'm using 15% Mean and Green in my Saito 4 strokes and 15% Castor blend in my OS 2 strokes. My main question is can one buy Nitro and add a little to the Mean and Green 15% fuel to kick it up a bit? the reason I don't just buy 20% is I have at least 6 gallons of 4 stroke fuel to use up and need a little better idle in the cold weather.
An overall question would be, what exactly is in the fuel. Nitro is nitro methane? Synthetic oil, Castor Oil, Alchohol.......
Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Flying freak

Default RE: Kick'n it up a notch (Nitro)

You COULD add nitro but how you goign to get it thats the only tricky part to it is that i beileive it categorized as an explosive and is regulated and shipping would be EXTREMELY expensive

Just a heads up when its colder you get lean richen your needles up a bit (ie retune) let it warm up and you should be able to get apretty good idle.... (once warm) you may want to let it sit running at a high idle for a minute before taking off...
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 AM
D4ng3r

richen your settings, NOT lean them to get higher temps.

i run 20% in my nitro truck (sorry its a different vehicle, but i think the engines work the same way..?) and when I start it (after fighting with it for a min to get it started in cold weather!) if I even THINK about touching the throttle, the engine dies. LOL! I need to wait about 1 min at idle for it to heat up enough..

I am using 20%, fyi. *shrug* Try just being more patient after you adjust your settings again, and if thats not the problem, i hope you can solve it quickly.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM
HangerBum

Thanks for the replies. Happy new year
Old 01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: HangerBum

Ok, please forgive the rather fundemental question but I have never bothered to learn the blending nuances of the glow fuels I use. I'm using 15% Mean and Green in my Saito 4 strokes and 15% Castor blend in my OS 2 strokes. My main question is can one buy Nitro and add a little to the Mean and Green 15% fuel to kick it up a bit? the reason I don't just buy 20% is I have at least 6 gallons of 4 stroke fuel to use up and need a little better idle in the cold weather.
An overall question would be, what exactly is in the fuel. Nitro is nitro methane? Synthetic oil, Castor Oil, Alchohol.......
Yes, "nitro" is nitromethane. It's not as easy to get as it used to be thanks to the war on terror and Timothy McVeigh. You can buy a gallon of high nitro boat fuel and mix it with your fuel to bump up the percentage. Since this fuel has oil in it, you don't dilute the lube percentage when you blend.
One gallon of 15% plus one quart of 40% mixed together yields 5 quarts of 20%.

If starting the engine is a problem in cold weather, try priming with a few drops of cigarette lighter fluid in the carburetor. Before discovering that trick, I nearly resorted to buying a electric starter.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:38 PM
HangerBum

Starting is not an issue. The Saitos run and idle pretty good until it gets around freezing. The engines run fine in the air. It's just the taxing out to take off that is iffy. So most of the other Saito owners at my club buy 20% and have no problems. I just have 6 gallons of 15% to use up. Thanks for the blending info, it's what I was looking for.