Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Class sizes

Old 01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
rs-775

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Class sizes

What are the differances in the scale size classes? Like I mean what is Large scale verses Giant scale? What is considered 'regular' scale?
Is one any easier or harder to fly that the other? Or just more expensive if it is wrecked...do Electrics come in these size scale planes??
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 AM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Class sizes

Giant scale usually refers to scale airplanes with wingspans 85-90 inches (and greater). Haven't really heard the terms 'large' scale and 'regular' scale used very often, but I would think that most people would consider 'regular' airplanes ones in 45-55 inch wingspan range (.40-.46 size engines), and consider 'large' airplanes ones with wingspans in the 60-75 inch wingspan range (.60-.90 size engines).

As far as electrics ...., with the advances in batteries and motors in the past few years, electric airplanes can now be as big as any glow/gas airplane. However, you do not see many electric large or giant scale 'scale' airplanes. One of the reasons for this is the lack of engine sound. Most people that build giant scale airplanes (especially warbirds) want to hear the sound of a combustion engine. Bob
Old 01-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rs-775

What are the differances in the scale size classes? Like I mean what is Large scale verses Giant scale? What is considered 'regular' scale?
Is one any easier or harder to fly that the other? Or just more expensive if it is wrecked...do Electrics come in these size scale planes??
Giant scale models are normally considered 1/4 scale or larger. There is a wingspan requirement for IMAA as well. For instance a 1/5th scale biplane with a 72" wingspan is considered Giant Scale or IMAA legal, even though it is smaller than quarter scale. Giant scale also can be when you own a model that is too large to fit in your car.

It can be confusing, so just get your hands on the rule book for the event that is put on by that group. If you don't want to enter competition, but just want a big old plane, then get something in the quarter scale size or larger.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Mode One

As far as classes in scale competition go, listen to what Stick has said above. In R/C, I look at it like there is only scale and giant scale. If it doesn't fit the definition of Giant Scale, as defined by the controlling authority, it is scale. The IMAA's definition of Giant Scale is probably widely excepted. http://www.fly-imaa.org
Old 01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: rs-775

Giant scale models are normally considered 1/4 scale or larger. There is a wingspan requirement for IMAA as well. For instance a 1/5th scale biplane with a 72" wingspan is considered Giant Scale or IMAA legal, even though it is smaller than quarter scale. Giant scale also can be when you own a model that is too large to fit in your car.

It can be confusing, so just get your hands on the rule book for the event that is put on by that group. If you don't want to enter competition, but just want a big old plane, then get something in the quarter scale size or larger.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I thought that the IMAA draws the line at 80 inches. It can be smaller than 80 inches only if it is true 1/4 scale at that size. It can be 1/5, 1/6 or smaller if that results in a 80 or larger inch wingspan. Ugly stiks and other models that aren't scale models of actual planes need to be at least 80 inches. Biplanes have a 60 inch minimum.