Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Buddy Box Cable Options

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Buddy Box Cable Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Box Cable Options

I'm still using an old Airtronics Infinity 660 for my flight radio. I'l like to arrange a Buddy Box system using the Infinity 660. I bought a Trainer System Cable 97102 which does plug into the Infinity.
I then bought on e-bay a "Trainer Box", essentially an empty VG400 Box. Controls, but no antenna, crystal, battery, etc. but, of course, my cable 97102 won't plug into the trainer box. Wrong pin configuration.

Is there any way to make these boxes (Infinity 660 and empty VG400) work together in a "Buddy Box" configuration? An adaptor to make the cable match, or another and different cable?

I'll appreciate any help.

Frank
Old 01-09-2008, 01:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Buddy Box Cable Options

I've been using Airtronics radios for about 11 years now and I thought that the buddy cords were the same for all of Airtronics. Does your older radio have a cord different from the round 5 pin plug on the other radio??

For reference, here is the pin-outs for Airtronics buddy boxes if it helps.
[link]http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/airamfm.htm[/link]

Ken
Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Fishin Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buddy Box Cable Options

Hi Ken. Thanks for the help.

Yes, the connectors on the boxes have different pin configurations. I'm not great at close-up photogrophy but the attached pictures may show the difference. The first pic is of the older Infinity 660. The second is the newer (and dummy) VG400. The Infinity takes Trainer Cable 97102 (which I have). The VG400 wants Trainer Cable 97100 (which Hobby People has for $15).
Some of this I have just learned.
I could just buy the 97100 cable, cut an end off each cable and solder the wires together, if I knew which wire went to which wire.

Any ideas for me??

Thanks
Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76112.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	846607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41269.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	846608