Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Covering Question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Covering Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 05:08 PM
FCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

What is the best method to cover the corners and hard to reach areas neatly and without any problem?

I am getting problem with monokote as the kit that I bought has elevator and rudder already attached without conering.

Also I am person who likes to attaches the monokote flush (total shrinking) to the balsa not just the corners and leave the rest unshrinked.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

You can use a good amount of heat on monokote with your heat gun, and stretch monokote around corners. To cover the stabs, start from the front ironing down the monokote, when you reach the hinge line, flex the surface down and continue ironing the covering. After you have the covering ironed to the surface, bring it back to neutral and use the point of the iron to push the covering into the hinge line.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Dzlstunter

Before you apply the skin of the flying surfaces (or vertical fin for that matter), cut a strip of your covering material about 1/2 inch wide and the length of the joint between the fuse and the surface, then fold it down the center and crease it. Use your finger to rub it into the joint (yes, it's warm enough to do this), leaving about 1/4 inch on the adjoining surfaces. You may have to cut little slits along the edges of the strip depending on how curvy the joint is. Then take a trim iron or the tip of your regular iron (very carefully) to first permanently attach the strip (and any "tabs" you had to create), then stick the skin covering to the piece along the fuse. Try to get the covering into the joint as deep into the angle as possible. With any luck, you won't be able to even see it. This got a little (! ) long; sorry. It is easier to do than to describe! Dzl