Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tires/Landing Gear

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tires/Landing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Landing Gear

On a Trike gear, or even tail dragger, what method is used for getting the tires to track properly. Is it toe in/ Camber in? or the opposite. If you have expierence with this, let me know, thanks.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tires/Landing Gear

On a tricycle gear, the rear wheels should be parallel or just a tiny bit of toe-IN. Conventional (taildragger) should have about 1-1/2 to 2 degrees toe-IN. The nose wheel really guides a tricycle the most; on a tail dragger think of it this way: with toe -in, as the plane makes a turn, the effective toe-in INCREASES on the wheel on the outside of the turn, which in turn increases the rolling resistance on that side, which tends to slow that side and the plane wants to turn the other way (straighten up). So equal toe-in makes the plane want to track straighter, with or without the tailwheel on the ground.

Toe-OUT has the effect of making the plane turn to the side with the most toe out, and makes ground handling much more difficult, sort of like a drunk on roller skates
Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like a little toe in an some camber in. But it is not an exact science since a hard landing may change everything.

Bill
Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about it.............

You want the tires to steer back when out of line. If the tire is behind the CG and the airplane yaws, you want the advancing tire to have more drag and the retreating one to have less. So you put a bit of toe-in and that happens.

If the tire is ahead of the CG, you want the same results. And you get it the same way.

Toe-in is sort of magic. I wish it could fix rudder coupling. Or make up for a poorly adjusted low-speed carb adjustment.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Toe-in is sort of magic. I wish it could fix rudder coupling. Or make up for a poorly adjusted low-speed carb adjustment.
or fix the loose nut between my Tx sticks
Old 02-01-2008, 12:17 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it rolls AWAY from me ---Im happy"[sm=angel_smile.gif][sm=rolleyes.gif][sm=omg_smile.gif]