Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes spinner weights

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Great Planes spinner weights

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:33 PM
RPMcK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes spinner weights

Has anyone out there actually used the GP spinner weight to balance an airplane? If so did it work well? I'd like to use one but don't want to trade a balanced airplane for an out-of-balance crankshaft or prop. Would appreciate and comments. I'm new at this, but if it works OK seems like a good way to go.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes spinner weights

I have used them on several occassions with no problems at all. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the engines I got, don't remember which one, warned about using weighted spinners. They suggested that it would lead to early bearing failure. It makes sense because the threads are no a tight fit to the crank shaft, and it may not center accuratly resulting in an out of balance. The wobble won't be much, and for a stock prop nut, it doesn't amount to much of a problem, but when you magnify that weight by amount by 20 or so, you can see where it's going to lead. I would recomend lead weights screwed to the engine mounts. I have had good luck using 1/8" thick lead and making a strap about 3/4" wide. Bow this under the bottom of the crank case and use long front mounting screws, wide washers and a nut with locktite on it and it places the weight as far forward as possible without going to the added weight on the crank.

Don
Old 02-13-2008, 09:06 PM
DavidAgar

I was making an assumption here. They make heavy hubs that are used instead of the engine prop nut, which is what I have used. You do need to know what size threads your crank has to make sure you get the right spinner weight. Mine are brass in color and I think they weight 3 ounces. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-14-2008, 11:42 AM
RPMcK

Thanks guys, for the input. What you mentioned Don about creating an imbalance was my thinking also. I test fitted a 2 oz. weight and didn't like the way it fit or the fact that they used a plastic bushing to bring it to proper size to fit the shaft. The heavy threaded prop nut you mentioned Dave sounded like it might be OK. Where would I find one of those? But then maybe weight on the engine mount would be the least problematic. (keep it simple ----) Two ounces on he end of the prop shaft put it right in the center of the CG too. Oh well. Thanks again.

Ron
Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
DavidAgar

Great Planes and Dubro make the heavy hubs. You can get them at any hobby shop or Tower Hobbies. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Kaos Rulz

Ron,

Will this weight be going on a 2, or 4 stroke engine?

If it's a 2 stroke, you're OK. If it's a 4 stroke, you might want to reconsider. Four strokes are more prone to back-fireing and throwing props, spinners, and prop nuts. Should this happen while flying, you'll have a tail heavy deadstick to try and land. Obviously, not a good combination.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 AM
pt19 flyer

hi

I have seen several articles over the years where the use of spinner weights is not recommented. from memory the spinning weight will impart a certain gyro effect for the flying characteristics of the plane. don't know to what effect this is but generally not recommented. balance plane with equipment placement and weight behind firewall.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used Heavy Hubs on one of my aircraft for 20 years and my Royal .45 engine is that old too. Never had a problem. I am now using one on another aircraft with another old Royal engine. Higley makes aluminum and brass hubs. I wouldn't hesitate on using them on any engine.
Try here: http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/HIGSPN005.html
Best of luck to you.
Ron
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

I tried the 2oz spinner weight on my OS .46 AX. Took longer for the prop to spin up. Didn't like the performance hit.

somegeek