Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

buddy/trainer cord interface

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

buddy/trainer cord interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 AM
fozjared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buddy/trainer cord interface

I have been wanting to get a buddy cord to train my wife with on one of my planes, i would also like to help a friend that has not flown for a while to polish up on his skills, but he has all futaba equipment, plus my dad got a hitec radio with an rtf foam trainer from a guy he knows for a good price, but he is scared to fly it! so i have 2 different radio types i need to link to.. i thought i saw in one of the model magazines i was looking at in hastings the other night where horizon came out with a cord and interface unit for 11.95 that would connect to all spektrum, jr, and futaba radios.. thats what i need, but i looked on horizon's site and they don't have it listed, if anyone knows where i can get one, that would be great, also i would like to know what the cheapest radio i can buy to link my wife to for training purposes.. i don't know for sure, but i dont think the radio even has to have an antenna or battery to work because the signal will transmit from the trainer's radio instead of the trainee's correct?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: buddy/trainer cord interface

Here's the jr-to-Futaba cord:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN173

Look on e*bay for a cheap transmitter. You are correct in thinking that the trainer doesn't need to be turned on.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:50 AM
mclina

This is the cord that comes with the RTF Hangar 9 trainers. I always used it JR to JR, so I can't tell how it works with other brands. I do seem to recall that it only works one-way. You can use a Futaba as a buddy box, with the JR as master (I think), but not the other way around.

I'm not 100% sure of this, but you may want to confirm before you buy.

Good luck Fozjared. I haven't seen any post from you in a while. Did you ever get another Seawind?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 PM
fozjared

hello mclina, i've been mostly lurking lately.. trying to help out in the beginner forum but every question i try to answer has already been answered so i have just been reading a lot and hanging out a little bit in the seaplane forum as i have a cub that i put on floats, then took off floats and now am considering putting back on floats.. as for the seawind, i did not get another, just opted for a refund.. i was refunded the cost of the plane, but was still stuck with shipping.. oh well..

back to the trainer cord.. i actually have a spektrum dx-7, will the jr plug work with my dx-7? i think i heard that they are the same, but i want to know for sure..thanks!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 AM
fozjared

is the trainer port on the spektrum compatible with jr? are they the same?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
fozjared

does no one know if the jr and spektrum trainer ports are the same ports?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Bad_Daddy

Why don't you just connect the 2 radios via the trainer cord and tell all of us what you learned? I personally have no idea, nor any clue where to look it up.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:50 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better to ask in the JR radio forum.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 PM
fozjared

thanks guys, i will try the jr forum..

i just hate to buy the jr cord and it not work. i would buy the spektrum cord, but then i need it to connect to a jr radio so either way i need to know the answer.