Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Second plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 02:23 PM
dmurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane

I am only a beginner and have gone solo for a month now. I want to buy a second plane (ARTF) with new engine (Nitro) and servors. I want to keep my trainer ready to fly. Want a high wing nice stable plane to fly also tail drager or trike
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
firstplaceaviator
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: Second plane

Ultra Stick!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Gary L.

I have this and really like it... It's my 2nd plane

http://thewingsmaker.com/airplane_de...php?code=GA014
Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
flyfisher431

Ultra Stik 60 with a OS 75AX engine. I've got mine set up using both flaps and ailerons.

Ben
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most popular second planes are probably the Sig 4-Star and Goldberg Tiger-2, and the Stik type planes as has been mentioned. All are great. Another great option is the World Models Skyraider Mach-2.

The link that Gary L. posted is essentially the same as the World Models Rambler .45. I own the World Models version and it is an excellent airplane. For the right pilot, it is gentle enough to be a second plane. The best part is that it can be fairly fast and handles like it is on rails so you'll enjoy flying it even as you get more advanced with your skills. I fly mine with an OS .55-AX engine and it is a good match.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to 2nd Chuckw on the choices of planes. I have (had) a Rambler 30 with and OS46 FX in it. The plane was a floater and VERY EASY to handle. For a 2nd plane I suggest setting your low rates at about 60% of the suggested rates and the high rates at about 75% - 80% of the suggested rates. As you become more proficient you can increase the rates.

I lost mine to poor visibility and reduced signal strength. It was the type of day where it was difficult to judge distance and I let the plane get too far out and wasn't sure of orientation. Trying to re-establish orientation she dropped below the tree line and I lost the signal. Took almost a month before I was able to find the plane - airframe a total, blackwire on the battery and all but one servo was stripped. Sent the receiver back to HiTec and they gave it a clean bill of health and took the engine apart and cleaned it.

FWIW - HiTec is one of the top companies to do business with. They have well made, QUALITY products and back their product 110%. I have sent receivers back that have been 3 years old. They have checked them AND repaired them AT NO COST !!!.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most stable fully aerobatic planes on the market are PATTERN planes and in my opinion the best second plane. Another option is to go with a 3D/Pattern hybrid and reduce the control throws way below the recomended amount for 3D. I think something like a Great Planes Venus or Hanger 9 showtime would fit the bill.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Take a look at the great planes sportster
Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Nelvick
My Feedback: (2)

Ultra Stick 60 or U-Can-do 40 or 60. My first choise is Ultra Stick 60. That plane fly very very well.