Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flapperons

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM
daytonflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapperons

I am in the final stages of putting together a Hanger 9 Super Stick using a Spectrum AR6200 receiver. The problem is with the flaperon function. The instuctions say to connect the left aileron to the AUX1 port and the right aileron to the AILE port. The ailerons work ok but I can not figure out how to get the flapperons to work. Can anyone help me? Thanks from the DaytonFlyer
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
iron eagel

Default RE: Flapperons

You need to follow the instructions outline in your radio manual for this function...
Also your transmitter must have the aileron and flap function turned on.
Typically flaperon useage is not a good idea other than using then as spoilers rather than flaps do to the "tip stall issue", do to the tips being at a higher AOA when using flaperons....
Old 03-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who said flapperons aren't a good idea? Their use can turn some lack luster planes into real barn stormers. "Crow" is even more fun in certain situations. You can toss in spoilerons and some other fun things.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: Pat Roy

Who said flapperons aren't a good idea? Their use can turn some lack luster planes into real barn stormers. "Crow" is even more fun in certain situations. You can toss in spoilerons and some other fun things.
Flaperons do work however, when used on a high wing loading airplane such as many scale builds they can cause tip stalls. Often they work fine but it depends on the plane your using them on. They do increase the angel of attack of the whole wing and it is not a good thing to do at the wingtips unless you are looking for a snap roll.
If you don't believe this look up flaperons in the aerodynamics forum and look at the comments from those with lots of knowledge about this issue.
One scale planes they are one of the fastest ways to get a plane back into a kit.
Fully functional flaps are still the best way to go period. Although using the flaperon set up as spoilers is a good method for lightly loaded airplanes.
But that is only my opinion