Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What Next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:29 PM
TalonLM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Next?

I have been flying for a year now and have flown electric and glow trainers. I am concerned that I will become bored with just flying the pattern. I get a great deal of satisfaction in landing, however at my local field, I don't want to tie up the pattern simply doing touch and go's. My question is where do I go from here. I am curious how others have started and what made them decide on a specific area to progress into i.e. aerobatics, scale, pattern or pylon racing. I really enjoy the flying and I don't want to get bored and have this end up like other hobbies. How do I keep it fresh?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: What Next?

If you're very good with your trainer, try something fun like a Sig Something Extra
Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Google Aresti...work on getting good at some of these will help hone your skills.

My SSE is my favorite flier. Very capable plane.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I keep it fresh by having a diverse fleet. Really mix it up and fly something different every time you go to the field.

Touch and goes are a ball !!! And they don't mess up the pattern. Its a riot to have 6 or 7 planes going around the patch doing touch and goes !!!! Remember, its your job to maitain spacing behind the plane in front of you. And you can have a touch and go partner. Someone gets the inside of the runway and someone gets the outside. Land side by side, go around and do it again !! ITs very fun. Learning to fly just gets you in the game. Learning to interact with others is the real sport.

Keep a good aerobat or two in the fleet. There will always be something new to learn or practice. And they are fun to fly all by yourself.

Play chase. Its harder than it looks. The one doing the chasing must look back and forth between the two airplanes.

Twins are a very different type of flying, more technical. But the thrill is amazing.

I think you mentioned racing, and if there is racing around, then join in. We did figure 8 racing. Get a half lap down and you are pretty much out of the race. Same if you get too far ahead.

Canards, pushers, speed, deltas, twins, warbirds, pattern, aerobats, combat, scale, bigbird, electric foamies, gliders, sport, STOL, float planes, Jets. There are many avenues to explore. The closer that you look at each, the more involved they become. Move around, try them all. When you you get good at one thing, try to master another.

And remember, touch and goes will always be fun !!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Dr1Driver

Time to graduate. Decide if you want to fly a specific type of maneuver like Pattern, 3D, general aerobatics, etc, and go from there. Get a hotter sport plane that fits your decision. Get one that will push your skills a little.

Dr.1
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with pylon racing. Never a dull moment with that. There is always a need to practice to get better at flying the course and always in search of engine, plug, fuel, prop combinations that will boost your competitiveness.

After many years of pylon racing I moved into Jets and still do that in a big way. A couple of years ago I learned to fly electric helicopters. Now that is a challenge that will make you feel like you are starting over.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM
TalonLM

Thanks everyone. I will give some of these options a try and I'll see if I can convince the wife to allow me to get yet another plane.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the World Models Rambler 45 ARF. It tracks like it is on rails, does nice aerobatics, can go fast if you want and lands nearly as gentle as a trainer. It's a really good all around plane.