Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Polycrylic and Polyurethane

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Polycrylic and Polyurethane

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
DaveB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polycrylic and Polyurethane

I will be using a clear coat soon over Solartex and I am considering trying out Minwax Polycrylic, which I believe is similar to oil based polyurethane. But, I don't know for sure if the polycrylic is the better choice. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DaveB
Old 03-29-2008, 01:49 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Polycrylic and Polyurethane

Minwax Polycrylic is not fuel proof.

Paul
Old 03-29-2008, 01:53 PM
DaveB

O.K. Thanks Paul. I am glad I asked before I bought it.

DaveB
Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 PM
DaveB

I thought the polycrylic was a water based version of polyurethane. Is that so, or is the polycrylic a different product? If it is a different product, is the water based polyurethane fuelproof?

Thanks,

DaveB
Old 03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polycrylic is a water-based poly as you stated. I can also attest to it not being fuel proof - at least with 15% nitro.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM
DaveB

Thanks for the prompt replys.

DaveB
Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Campy

Polycrylic (and MOST other waterbase polyurethanes ) are FUEL RESISTANT to 10% nitro (many report no problems with 15% nitro) with the following caveats:

1. Let the poly dry for a MINIMUM of 7 days before exposing to glow fuel residue. Raw glow fuel, as with MOST paints, you take your chances.

2. Do not let the residue remain on the finish over 4 hours. At ABOUT 4 hours the finish will begin to soften.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Polycrylic stands up well in gasoline applictions
Old 03-30-2008, 01:39 AM
jeffk464

I had a very bad learning experience with glow fuel and paint and let me say that automotive paint wont even hold up to glow fuel. [] Basically you don't want to get raw glow fuel on anything and you definitely don't want to let it sit on anything.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:46 AM
AviationNut

A while back, I did a test with both Polycrylic and standard oil-based Minwax poly. I let each dry in the sun for over a week, placed a small puddle of Cool Power 15% on each for an hour, then wiped it off. The oil-based wasn't even phased by the fuel, but the Polycrylic was soft and sticky and never hardened again after that. Though this is in California, so maybe the formulations are different here because of the strict environmental laws.

I have also used flat black spray paint from Sears (their own brand) that is fuel proof to 15% - not bothered by raw fuel. But not sure about the other colors in their line of paint - might be worth a try for a top-coat.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
flipstart

I have tried about every clear coat available in spray can and only one I trust is the Min wax solvent based Polyurethane ( in bronze can). Available in flat, semi-gloss and high gloss. It does yellow with age, so don't use it over white, otherwise it works up to 15% nitro. I am sure there may be some exotic clears out there but for local availability, PU is my choice from experience.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 AM
sscherin

I cleared my stick with Valspar Water Based exterior Spar Polyurethane. (got it at Home Depot)
It holds up well but will make the finish tacky if exhaust residue is left for a few hours. It'll dry up again in a day.

The flight box is oil based Polyurethane.... No problems at all with that stuff..

Polycryllic.. let to cure for 1 week.. 15% glow fuel took it right off in less than a minute.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Campy

ORIGINAL: flipstart

I have tried about every clear coat available in spray can and only one I trust is the Min wax solvent based Polyurethane ( in bronze can). Available in flat, semi-gloss and high gloss. It does yellow with age, so don't use it over white, otherwise it works up to 15% nitro. I am sure there may be some exotic clears out there but for local availability, PU is my choice from experience.

I have had excellent results with "Dupli-Color Acrylic Clear Engine Enamel". I have only been able to find it in auto parts store and it is only available in gloss. After letting it dry for a week, it passed a raw fuel test (10% nitro left on the surface for 2 - 3 hours) and the exhaust test (held the test panel in the exhaust stream of a running 46 for 15 minutes - distance about 12" from the muffler)
Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Campy

ORIGINAL: AviationNut

A while back, I did a test with both Polycrylic and standard oil-based Minwax poly. I let each dry in the sun for over a week, placed a small puddle of Cool Power 15% on each for an hour, then wiped it off. The oil-based wasn't even phased by the fuel, but the Polycrylic was soft and sticky and never hardened again after that. Though this is in California, so maybe the formulations are different here because of the strict environmental laws.

I have also used flat black spray paint from Sears (their own brand) that is fuel proof to 15% - not bothered by raw fuel. But not sure about the other colors in their line of paint - might be worth a try for a top-coat.

MOST paints, unless they are a 2 part paint (epoxy type), do not do well with raw glow fuel.