Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

WHICH IS BETTER, ZINGER OR TOPFLITE PROP?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

WHICH IS BETTER, ZINGER OR TOPFLITE PROP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:45 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WHICH IS BETTER, ZINGER OR TOPFLITE PROP?

I recently purchased a Saito 125 and wish to use about a 16X6 wooden prop for my application. I see TopFlite props are made of Beechwood and cost less and Zingers are Maple and cost more. I have always used Zingers, but was curious if the TopFlite props are equal to the Zinger.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WHICH IS BETTER, ZINGER OR TOPFLITE PROP?

Tell you what partner, Here's what I've learned. TopFlite work every bit as good and cost about $10 bucks less than Zinger. This is from ten years experience. And as soon as everyone else responds to you from here on, they are going to tell you otherwise. Go from here. Seeya, MM
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

XOAR props if you are looking for something that really works in the price range you are looking for.
There is no one choice on props, you have to try out different makes and sizes to find the one that will fly the plane best for you or the way you want it to fly.
I have liked the APC props with that engine but the plane was an Extra, the plane type counts A lot.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give a TF a try and find out first hand. When you become even more motivated try some of the other manufacturers. That's the only way you will actually know. The rest is hearsay based on either someone elses experience or third hand based on no experience at all..
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I seam to waste a lot of money trying different props. Some applications the Zinger is better some the TF. The best one I have found for the 1.25 is neither. I am using a MA Scimitar series wood in 16x6. My 82 likes a Zinger 15x4 and the 1.80 likes a TF 18x6.

David
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
broke_n_bummin

I have used and like them both. The Zinger, Evolution and Top Filte all flex the same. The evo and TF have a slightly higher pitch (sound) at 11,000 rpms, and within a couple ounces, all 3 had the same amount of thrust. I'd have to say ... Go with what your wallet tells you to do.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Tell you what partner, Here's what I've learned. TopFlite work every bit as good and cost about $10 bucks less than Zinger. This is from ten years experience. And as soon as everyone else responds to you from here on, they are going to tell you otherwise. Go from here. Seeya, MM

I have a lot of Zinger props as well as Top Flite, Top Flites tach a bit more than Zingers, Zingers are stiffer than top Flites, I like a lot Top Flites but they got easily broken. With bigger engines I lean to stiffer props.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I seam to waste a lot of money trying different props. Some applications the Zinger is better some the TF. The best one I have found for the 1.25 is neither. I am using a MA Scimitar series wood in 16x6. My 82 likes a Zinger 15x4 and the 1.80 likes a TF 18x6.

David
Uhhh, there is no such thing as "waste a lot of money" on RC stuff. It's Research & Developement, or maybe Marketing Survey, or my personal favorite "I want it". Think of it as a work in progress!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
carlosponti

I would suggest going with the maple prop on that engine because i have been told that 4 strokes need the weight to run correctly, now take that part with a grain of salt because that is what i had been told.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:07 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, a heavier prop on 4 strokes seem to do better. Zinger in this case is heavier or APC & MA might be a good choice too. Top Flite props are fine and I use them when i can for cost savings.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:38 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I heavier prop will idle lower but I have not seen any other problems with light props. Just the opposite. The light prop will spool up better and shake the plane less.

David
Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Want to "waste" some serious money? Wait until all your prop experimentation starts in 22" diameters, going up to 30", and includes composite propeller products. It pays off though.

Again, that's the only way you truly know what does the best. I've tried going with what seemed to work for other people and came away quite dissapointed until I did my own checking. If all you're spending is $10.00 or so for a prop you won't get in too deep.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

I like the squared off tips of the Zinger's. It makes it easier to dig the thick paint out of the bottom corners of the can.