Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

tail dragger conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

tail dragger conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:43 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tail dragger conversion?

Ive had hanging around a SIG KADET LT 40 trainer. Id like to make it a tail dragger. I just sit and stare at it and cant seem to come up with a solution,,,Has anyone done this feat. If so ,would you explain how you did it ,,,maybe some pics. I just tired of bending nose gear all the time. Even under normal light landings she eventually bends the gear.

Thanks a million

TAZZZZ
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 AM
KitBuilder

Default RE: tail dragger conversion?

While i have not convertred a Kadet LT-40, as a general rule/starting point, for placement of mains, they should just be visible protruding from leading edge when looking straight down. There are a number of steerable tailwheel brackets available. Since the rudder does not go below the elevator.. that's a bit more work to make it steerable. An easy solution would be to run an add'l pushrod back to the tailwheel bracket off the rudder servo.

If your bending the nosewheel.. I think your coming in to steep. Control altitude with elevator on landing and flair before touchdow to get the nose up. (of course this is easier said than done) just my thoughts.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I have no experience with the LT-40, I did convert my Kadet Senior to a t.d. I added a piece of hardwood in the bottom of the fuse frame and screwed a Great Planes scale tailwheel into it. For control, I used a 2-56 pull-pull cable setup attached to the rudder servo. As mentioned before, I mounted the mains with the axles just below the wing leading edge. Had to epoxy some plywood in the fuse floor above the gear to beef things up a bit. Overall, a simple change to make and I'm very happy I did it. It is easy to handle with no groundlooping or noseover tendencies but you need to bring'er in slow and shoot for a full-stall landing. I think it makes the plane look much more "scale-like" and less like a typical trainer. Recently, I added a FlyCamOne2 video cam under the left wing and am now enjoying this plane in new ways. Good luck with your mods.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51891.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	937215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66926.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	937216  
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

Ive had hanging around a SIG KADET LT 40 trainer. Id like to make it a tail dragger. I just sit and stare at it and cant seem to come up with a solution,,,Has anyone done this feat. If so ,would you explain how you did it ,,,maybe some pics. I just tired of bending nose gear all the time. Even under normal light landings she eventually bends the gear.

Thanks a million

TAZZZZ
I converted my LT40 to a tail dragger some time ago and was most pleased with the results. I solved the physical limitations of the rudder mounting by adding a control rod.

I moved the landing gear so that the axle was aligned with the leading edge then added a new push rod to the rudder servo. This meant cutting into the tail section with a piece of hardwood for tail wheel mounting as well as removing a piece of the fuselage so that I could gain access to and route the new control rod. This damage was easily repaired - especially in a banged up trainer (:-). The interesting thing about the mod is that there was no need for rebalancing. I guess moving the main gear forward countered the loss of the nose wheel.

I'll see if I can get some pictures later today.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Tall Paul

Couple ways to do it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43528.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	937338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31168.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	937339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15786.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	937340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26173.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	937341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75508.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	937342  
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
tazzzz

Don41
I appreciate the comeback.. What did you use for the main gear? Id like to get rid of the wire ones. Also what engine are you running,, Ive got a OS 46 mounted, would mounting a dural main gear and adding the tailwheel assy add to the weight,,therefore needing mor power? Ive got a new 55AX I can use.

I await your pics also-Thanks,TAZZZZ
Old 04-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a dural main gear on my Senior which is larger than your LT40. I fly it with an OS 40LA and it's just fine. Not a hotrod but a good flyer regardless.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

Don41
I appreciate the comeback.. What did you use for the main gear? Id like to get rid of the wire ones. Also what engine are you running,, Ive got a OS 46 mounted, would mounting a dural main gear and adding the tailwheel assy add to the weight,,therefore needing mor power? Ive got a new 55AX I can use.

I await your pics also-Thanks,TAZZZZ
Sorry Tazz I got caught up in the Hughes.net service outage and forgot about the forums. I went with the (nylon?) Du-Bro main gear, not sure on the tail wheel but most likely Sullivan. My LT40 is powered by an OS40 2 stroke which furnishes more than enough power for what I call "normal" flying.

I didn't weigh the plane but I wouls expect it to weigh the same or slightly less. I don't feel it's something you need to be concerned about. The plane, compred to my Senior Telemaster, is certainly not a floater but is not a difficlt plane to handle on takeoffs and landings. We fly off a dry lake bed in Nevada so it's not all that smooth however there is no excess of weaving on takeoff,,, it handles the conversion quite well.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
tazzzz

Don41
Sounds good to me,, Im going to get right on it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.-TAZZZZ