Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flaperons

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaperons

OK, so they are a combination flap and aileron. But what are they in real life? and how to implement them in an RC aircraft? What are the compromises and the benefits? I have a 6 chl radio and could do both, but I'm intrigued by the concept.

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2002, 01:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flaperons

Most all computer radios have a flaperon setting. You plug one aileron servo into the normal aileron channel and the other into channel 6, flaps. The flaperon wing type sets your radio so they will work in opposite directions as ailerons and the same direction as flaps. You still have aileron control even when the flaps are down.

You may also set the flaps to work opposite to your elevator, up elevator-down flap and down elevator-up flap. This will give you tighter turns and loops.

With 2 different channels for your ailerons, you can adjust the aileron centers and end points individually with your radio rather than by turning the clevice. Set the elevator control horn as close to the center as possible, then use sub trim to put it in the exact center. Do this for each aileron. Next, go to travel adjust and set the end points to the same amount.

Finally, you can mix throttle and flaps and heve the flaps go up like spoilers when you throttle back for landing. This setting is one of my favotires. The spoilers drop down when you add power for a touch-and-go.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:10 PM

Default Flaperons

The only thing I would add to the above excellent post is that you should be careful how much "flap" function you use with flaperons. depending on the plane, once you go beyond a certain setting, you may loose aileron control. I know that happens with my clipped wing Four Star 60 that I have set up with flaperons.

Lee
Old 03-14-2002, 05:48 AM

Default Flaperons

Ed, thanks for your technical but understandable explaination. And to you you also Lee for the addition. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take on this option yet. The reason that I was intrigued was an idea I had about hinging both flaps and ailerons on concentric aluminum tubes thereby eliminating external mechanisms (horns, rods, etc) By using the same control surface for two funtions, it would make it simpler, one less layer. I'll have to check my radio out for the features that you mention.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:09 PM

Default Flaperons

Flaperons work great in most applications. I have plan to experement with a way to use them hinged down from the wing cord and slightly back from the front of the aileron to act as slotted flaps during deployment. http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/index1.html
In real life check this plane out.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flaperons

Flaperons are really fun!!! I just sold my H-9 Ultra stick to friend after flying it for quite a while. It was set up with flaperons. You can have some real fun with this set up. Everyone at the field was impressed with the capabilities using this function.
Go to the Horizon Hobby website and download the PDF instruction file for the Ultra Stick. Take a look and see what you think.
Silversurfer
Old 03-18-2002, 04:32 AM

Default Flaperons

Silversurfer,

Everyone who has tried them seems to like them. Thanks for you input.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:38 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default Flaperons

I have an H9 Ultra Stick 40.Using the quad flaps, gear channel, and flaperons, I can get "crow" working. Looks awsome when you're in a dive and hit the flap switch. The inboard flaps go down and the ailerons go up. Talk about "speed brakes"!!!!