Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Epoxy types

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy types

Is there any difference between the 30 , and 45 min epoxies sold at Hobby Stores and the ones found at Home Depot, Lowes which also carry brands like Pacer, Devcon etc. ? Tks
Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Epoxy types

Yeah, the price tag
Old 07-01-2008, 12:54 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

I have not found any significant differences in the different brands of epoxies.
However, there is an important difference in the time in which they set. Slower is better, in that it not only gives you more time to position and clamp or pin the parts, but more important, it gives it more time to penetrate into the parts for a greater bond.
Fast setting epoxies result in a surface bond, with resulting less strength. Fine for a field repair but not the best during initial construction.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
sportflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (35)

I also think that the of Hobby Epoxies are a bit thinner than the ones sold in Home Improvement stores.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

ok lets keep it simple :P wally world stuff i use it all the time. the quantity you will find at the hobby store will go bad before you use it all.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
ernbar

Just to add to EloyM's post. I use the faster 5-10 minute epoxies on foam where a surface bond is ok. The slow 2 hr. epoxy is great for high stressed areas, laminating and fuel proofing.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Ed Smith

there are only two types of epoxies, resin and polyester. I have for years now bought from walmart 30 minute and 5 minute resin epoxy. for starters it comes in a more convenient size as to not go bad if sitting for too long. In the bigger sizes that the hobby stores sell it goes bad before I use a whole container. Walmart sometimes will sell polyester epoxy in the boat and body shop area. if you need a slow 2 or 3 hour epoxy that is the way to go.
I think you are a little confused with Polyester resin and Epoxy resin. You may wish to rewrite this.

Ed S
Old 07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
scratchonly

That's correct; polyester is one thing, epoxy is another.